• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air Filter Question.......................

rubywoofs

Loc.
Southlake
I don't know your answer, but I do know it sometimes takes more than 4.5 hours before someone who does know your answer sees the question. Hold on a little bit.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
So your saying you have a cowl hood or something simillar??
If so I guess that air cleaner might work, Though I would prefer a drop base air cleaner, and I think 10 inches is too small, well unless you have a DUI style distributor

Here is the one I would go for if you want a open element filter

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-302-350/?rtype=10

PRO-302-350.jpg

Then if you still have room to raise it up, you can do two things, a taller filter, or a phenolic spacer under the carb

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am guessing you have a stock air cleaner. One snorkle going toward the grill for fresh cool air, the other going toward the exhaust for riser heat to help warm up. Your description is vauge and open to interpertation as well as what someone else may have modified it with.

So is an open element air cleaner better? Define better? You loose your cool air package and the warm up benifits of the riser. But the filter is capable of flowing more air, but do you need more air flow potential? Open element is easy to inspect, but also easy to damage. Depends on that interpertation of "better"

As for that rear opening on the hood. It is called "cowl induction". At low speeds it lets the air out of the engine compartment. As you start driving faster then about 40MPH the flow reverses and if pushes air into the engine compartment (which often causes high speed overheating issues as there is now an issue with getting the air to flow out of the engine compartment). A really good cowl incuction set up seals the opening off from the engine compartment and makes the carburator breath through that opening. Makes more power at highway speeds but also can lead to contamination issues if major water is encountered.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a good pro to using that dual-snout 5.0; if you add the flex hose to each and route them forward to pull only outside cold (colder) air, that can help performance. EB engine compartments are notoriously cramped for air flow and known for very high compartment temps.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Curious about the raised/open rear hood. Notice you have a 351ci listed and was wondering if it was an actual cowl induction hood or just jacked up to clear the air cleaner.

OP
OP
V

veale001

Loc.
Dothan, AL
my "cowl induction" hood looks similar to this...

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/popup.php?id=2350

but the opening is about 1.5" tall.

my temperature gauge never breaks 190 and i live in south AL, so i figured there wasn't a temp problem. i thought (remember i am a mechanical dumb-ass) that the cowl and open element filter would help bring in more cold air being as the snouts on the first filter housing were pointed down into the bay, where its got to be hotter than near that cowling, am i wrong?

in regard to your question steve83, i was trying different ideas to help with MPG and air flow.

ill try to find a way to run that flex hose off the dual snout housing towards the grill and see any difference.

Thanks again for the replies!
w

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
That is not a stock bronco air cleaner, looks like a 85 mustang gt, as stated you can run hoses to the front for denser air and you are not gonna benefit from another aftermarket air filter.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
After reading other threads on this subject, I'm thinking seriously about replacing my open element with the one you have and ducting it to the grill. Let us know how it works out.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Yup, I'd go for the dual snorkle like yours and try to run lines out the front of the core support. I've kept my stock EB setup pretty much for the reason that it draws cooler air from outside of the engine compartment. I use a high-flow filter element in it and haven't noticed any adverse effects from it vs. the 3" open element that I used to run.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What would be really slick is to run the snorkle lines to the cowl opening in the hood and attach them with some flex duct. Something that would let you still open the hood but give a true cowl induction. Cool pressurized air, perfect.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
What would be really slick is to run the snorkle lines to the cowl opening in the hood and attach them with some flex duct. Something that would let you still open the hood but give a true cowl induction. Cool pressurized air, perfect.
Good thinking. Something on the lines of the defroster ductwork, probably need something a little bigger. I've got a nozzle for my shop vac than would probably be about the right size.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I doubt you're short-changing yourself on maximum air-flow with that housing's two intakes veale. Unless your 351 is a deep-breathing hi-po engine and you like to wring it out now and then.
What have you got in the engine by the way? Do you like to rev it up? Or do you drive it like the truck that it is?

If you want to try more filter, you can always just pick up a taller air filter element to fit into that same housing. That way you have a low-hassle way of finding out if more area will net you anything, without the bigger expense and hassle of changing the whole thing out.
You can spec out a taller K&N or other performance brand, or even a paper-type element perhaps(?), to fit into the same diameter (14" maybe?) as you have now, but the taller element (maybe between 3" and 4" inches?) will allow more air flow still. Yes, you lose your cold-air intake properties (as the lid will now be lifted up and taking in under-hood air again), but it's an easy way to get the larger filter area you were thinking about. And it eliminates the snorkels as any type of potential bottle neck. If in fact they are.

Ford designed that setup to support the 225 (net) horses that the Mustang was probably developing at that time though, so it's likely doing a good job for you, if your 351 is a low-revving setup. If it's all hi-po stuff though, you might benefit more from the larger filter after all.

And though I don't think you'll be able to tell much by the seat of your pants just by plumbing the snorkels for cooler air, I still think it's the right thing to do. Hey, they're there after all. Might as well use them the way they were meant to be.
It's just a "better" way to do it.
The taller hood can let you play with element heights. And if you figure out a way to seal off the opening when using the taller element, you'll still have the best of both worlds.
That's what I'm doing on the 400 in my '79.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...the cowl and open element filter would help bring in more cold air...
If you read some of the overheating threads, you'll find that cowl hoods can make the engine bay HOTTER by counteracting the radiator fan - pushing air in the wrong way.
...MPG and air flow.
If you're not having an airflow problem now, then increasing the filter area won't increase the airflow. Read the RESULTS pages of Project MPG.
ill try to find a way to run that flex hose off the dual snout housing towards the grill and see any difference.
That's probably the best thing you can do.

Quick & Dirty

A proper cowl induction seals the air filter assembly to the hood. That's the only way the scoop will pressurize the intake with cool air.

100_1254.jpg

Another vote to say the easiest thing for you to improve airflow is keep the dual snorkel you have and duct it to the core support.

Sorry for the chevy picture, but I couldn't find a Ford Ram-Air pic with both the hood and scoop.
Just the air cleaners.
1973_Ford_Mustang_Mach_1_351_Ram_Air_engine.JPG

mdmp_0903_16_z+nmra_ford_expo+428_cobra_jet_ram_air.jpg