• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan clutch with derale 17-18 inch fixed fan and explorer serp?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone found a clutch that will work with the derale 17 or 18inch fixed fan and an explorer serp?

I'll add I talked with BC bronco's a few minutes ago and they said someone just talked with them about using a clutched fan and it works, someone out there knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The fan I have looks like it might have a little hairline crack on one blade.
, need to look again in the full sunlight (damn glasses)

Just looking at all the options.

Do you know if the aluminum shroud from BC's will fit the explorer fan?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know there are shrouds that work with the Explorer setup. Fairly sure they were Rod Davis, which is often resold by many Bronco venders.

I think Hayden sells a stock replacment Explorer fan.

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
X2 on the stock Explorer fan. It pulls a ton of air and doesn't take up much room. I've been running around down here in this Florida heat and mine runs nice and cool even without the shroud installed.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
it'd cost the same or less for a replacement explorer fan, and i HAVE seen a metal blade on the stock explorer clutch.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
The 96 I pulled parts from had a metal fan.

I was planning to put the mark/t-bird electric fan, same as what I have in my 440 ramcharger, will this work, of should I go mechanical with clutch??:?

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
My decision to go with the stock explorer fan was because I had a hard time finding anything thin enough to fit in between the pulley and the radiator. The stock unit fits perfect and keeps things nice and cool.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks folks.

Derale responded with following info on stock replacement fan and clutch FYI:
P# 17918 (18” clutch fan reverse rotation) will work with P# 22615 clutch. (Page showing product attached above)

The fixed fans are designed for a belt driven systems only.

www.derale.com