• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do-it-yourself wheel polishing

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Who has polished wheels (Slots in this case ) Themselves? I know there are guys out there who do it professionally but I like to do stuff myself and I'm a tightwad. I started cleaning up my new slots this weekend and have had pretty good results with the two I have done so far. My technique was to break out my car buffer and use rubbing compound because I had it left over from buffing out my paint. It works pretty well but its hard to get in the tight spots. I'm getting pretty good gloss but not the near chrome look that I have seen. So what are the right tools for the job? I ate up a couple buffing pads doing the first two wheels. I was thinking of getting some polishing compound and using cone shaped buffs with my die grinder but I'm not sure what the correct compound is and where to buy it (Locally if possible). Any advice?

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
I used McGuires aluminum polish. I bought a cheap polishing set from Harbor Fraight and used it to rough in the shine, then finished polishing it by hand. I havent put on any kind of overcoat, but I hear that shark skin is some pretty good stuff...

Attachments

• Bronco 3.jpg
    Bronco 3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I use an old car buffing wheel, use the variable speed buffer at 1600 RPM and I use Flitz and th wheels will look like new.

Broncosis1973

Loc.
Portland, OR
I used Flitz metal polish with their buff ball on my drill. Used their aluminum pre cleaner first. Really worked good. Google them, they have a video.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I got started polishing and decided that the wheel that will be for my spare tire would be a good one to start on. Its actually not as bad as I thought it would be. The shine really brings out the curb rash.

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpg
    IMG_4924.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 132

VT_Don

Cascade, results can be achieved a numbers of ways, and I've tried most over the last 35 years. If lightly oxidized, good ole Mothers Wheel Polish is the mainstay of the hobby. Works well and is available everywhere. If pitted, or oxidized badly (white powder crap) need professional techniques. I have an air compressor with a die grinder. Use a combination of felt bobs and buffs with bars of compound. For the hobbyist, Eastwoods is a good materials source. Electric drills and paint buffers are a waste of time. Neither will generate necessary speed compounds require. If you have endless free time, can get same results with coated abrasives.

Bucky66

looks like your getting pretty good results. I really like those wheels. I went through the same things trying to figure out steps for polishing. I am just a hobby guy and no professional. I did make a little extra cash while in school with buying old wheels and turning them for sale after some refinishing or polishing. I have had great results with using rubbing compound like you have done. Then followed up with that good ol' Mothers that VT_Don said. For the actual wheel front surface I used wheel buffing wheel (like you find at walmart or any auto parts store) on my electric drill. For getting into holes I go to harbor freight and get those cloth wheels that will go on the drill. They have all sizes and different shapes to get just about in any little place on the wheel.

Post more pics when done

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Damn this is alot of work! I am almost done, I got all of the holes filled, all wheels have been sanded, and four have been polished. Tomorrow, I finish up number five. I sanded all of the wheels to make them smoother and to reduce the curb rash. After sanding I used a drill with a red 3M disc, I followed that with a cleaning/smoothing compound and finally I used a polishing compound. I did all of the compound work with my die grinder. Once I get number five done I'll hit them all with some Flitz polishing compound. Once I get them done tomorrow I'll get some photos up. Here are the before shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4893.jpg
    IMG_4893.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4919.jpg
    IMG_4919.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 75

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
for $20.00 a wheel i had mine done, even with shipping it was well, well worth it. I had hours upon hours into mine and could never get them as nice as Mike did....have not polished mine yet and it's been 3 years...

Attachments

• fff weekend 107.jpg
    fff weekend 107.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_4951.jpg
    IMG_4951.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4950.jpg
    IMG_4950.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
cascade. Are those 9-1/2" or 10" Deep?
Thanks

These are 10" wheels.

I'm going to try to get them mounted and balanced this weekend. Anyone ever have problems with metal valve stems? These wheels had the metal nut mounted valve stems when I got them and I was thinking that it would be nice to use them. The stems are mounted deep in the wheel so I'm not concerned about breaking one off while wheeling. I have had the rubber ones crack and leak in the past and I think the metal one will be better in that regard. Opinions?