• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Starting issues.. IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I've finally reached the point when I can fire up the black widow! Buuuuut she won't fire up... Gas is getting to the carb and it will almost fire up but goes back and forth. I have a video if it works. Need some quick advice on what to check! Thanks

c84fb699.mp4
[/IMG]

Here's a link if you can't see it above

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h466/Nightstick180/c84fb699.mp4

Last edited:

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Did it just start doing this all at once? sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel or the timing is a bit off. any more info

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
First time it's been started in god knows how long (probably 18 years) except for when we cranked it up for a few seconds in February, but it was rigged up and we didn't start it from the ignition switch. There's plenty of fuel getting to the carb and a new fuel pump. I replaced the plugs wires (used the timing order in the manual) coil, rebuilt the carb, new starter and solenoid, But I have no choke.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'll be the first to say I probably need to get my hands on a timing light and check that. Does the video point to timing being more than likely the issue?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
is it flooding, can you smell a lot of gas? if not might try messing with the timing a little

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Waited about an hour and tried again with the same result so flooding shouldn't be the issue.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Turned the dizzy both ways and still having the same issues. Retarding it made it crank but no sputter like it was doing before.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Why is the choke plate removed? It's going to be hard to start without a choke even when everything is right. Triple check your plug wires. Turn the distributor back to where it tries to fire again and a tad further. Kinda sounds like you might be one position off on your plug wires.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Got a timing light... No spark at #1. Probably have intermittent spark which I'm guessing means the points are toast. Gonna get a pertronix tomorrow if the parts store has one otherwise I'll just replace the points.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Turns out O'Reilly's sells pertronix so I'm going on the hunt today. If the points is the issue which I'm pretty confident it is, I should have her going by this afternoon. I hope so, because I wanna take it wheeling this weekend!

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
If it ran before and you did not pull the Dizzy it should work now. Double check the things you worked on. JMO hot wire it and start it with a remote starter switch from in front and get it to run then adjust the carb and work on starting with the key.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm hooking up the pertronix ignition, and just want to make sure I have it correct... I'm using a centech harness with ballast resistor, the red wire from the dist goes to the blue wire side (ignition) of the resistor right? Other side goes to the + side of coil.