• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Afetmarket tranny pan??

wazzubronco

I've got a case of the leaky C4 pan. Just changed the cork gasket for a rubber one and it's still leaking. Everything I've read says not to use silicone, make sure the bolts are torqued right etc... Anyone have any luck with an aftermarket pan?? It also looks to be leaking from the dipstick tube, I have the flared end, not the O ring style. Any ideas?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Make sure it's the pan leaking. The shift/kickdown levers commonly leak. Tighten the dipstick tube. 32-42 ft-lbs is the spec.

There is a seal (Napa ATP 1404) around the shift shaft but you need to open it up to change it. There is also a special quad-ring (Napa ATP 12069) between the shift shaft and the kickdown shaft that can be changed from the outside.

Change the quad ring first. That is a common leak. Remove the nut and kickdown lever and pull out the old ring. Clean the area, lube the new ring and re-install. If it still leaks after changing the ring you'll need to pull the valve body to change the shift seal.

If the pan still leaks take it off and flatten the bolt flange. Find 11 of the biggest washers that will fit squarely in the flange and put them under the bolts. Don't overtighten the pan, 12-16 ft-lbs.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
The ring & seal were replaced on my C4 and stopped that leak but my pan was still leaking. I gave the B&M deep pan a try and have been very pleased with it: sealed up nice and holds about an extra quart of fluid. I did have to modify the fill tube as my headers interfered with it, but no more pan leaks and a little more bling under the '73. ;-)