• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electricalconfuzion

thomasmatthew

Loc.
richmond
Im wiring a 76 with a fiberglass tub and one of the issues Im having is with key on engine off if I turn the turn or hazards on the dist fires with the blinkers the engine seems to run great ;fast starts, revs quick and idles smooth will smoke the tires if power braked however Ive not had it on the road,that being said the pick up in the dist had a loose magnet which was causing the coil to fire all the time w key on engine off (buzzing from the coil which nailed my stepson :eek:) Installed a newpickup coil in the dist and now it just acts goofy with the blinkers on do you think I got a bad pickup coil?

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
So that's what they mean by "gone haywire".

I hope you get it figured out. I want to hear what could be causing that! Other than a bad ground that is. I can't believe how crazy things get on these rigs with bad grounds...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What wire harness are you using? Stock original or new aftermarket?
If aftermarket, which one?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you run any common grounding blocks or panels for the different segments and systems to ground too? Of course, you can use the frame for a lot of it, if you have a very good connection to the battery, but little terminal strips, posts, and stuff like that can come in very handy when wiring the remote corners and dashboard of a fiberglass tub.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
T

thomasmatthew

Loc.
richmond
I have about 6 14gauge wires soldered to an eyelet bolted from the dash to the brake pedal assembly inside the truck and out side the firewall on the same bolt a 1'' braided stainless steel grounding strap to the intake and the block is hooked to the battery via #2 cable but I guess that aint enough

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...but I guess that aint enough

Well it sure as heck should be! Sounds like you tried to take care of that for sure. Maybe it's just one little thing somewhere that got missed?

Is the frame rail grounded too? Not that this would cause the trouble you're having, but it's a good idea to have it as part of the grounding scheme.
(edit: nevermind. I see you did that already)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you say what type of ignition you are using? External control modules? Fancy coils mounted somewhere other than the engine or fender? Any fuses blowing? Turn signals work normally? Aside from them firing the coil that is!

Keep the clues coming. This is a weird one.

Paul

OP
OP
T

thomasmatthew

Loc.
richmond
Im running a 351 with factory dist with a new pick up coil , ig coil, new old stock ford factoryengine harness and the duraspark box mounted to the inner fender (fiberglass,but has its own ground to the box) all connections soldered and heat shrinkd no fuses blow and everything else works but the fuel gauge btw my brother tried one of those fancy smancy ignition system and it left him on the side of the road...race ya home

OP
OP
T

thomasmatthew

Loc.
richmond
just installed a #6 gauge ground cable from engine block to frame and still have the same thing but it doesnt seem to affect the way it runs. 1 thing I thought of that I didnt think was right was the ignition coil is hot when the key is in the acc position ,is that normal?Also the tail lights are grounded directly to the frame,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Coil should not get hot while in ACC. Only when in ON (or RUN) should there be any power to the ignition system.
But the coils do get pretty hot, so might stay that way for awhile. Could it have been residual heat from before? Or do you know for sure it was from the key being in ACC?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. But no, it's still not supposed to do that. Either the ignition switch is wonky or your wire is hooked to the wrong post maybe?
They don't have the coil on in the ACC position so that it won't overheat while you're sitting around listening to the radio.

Paul

OP
OP
T

thomasmatthew

Loc.
richmond
Thats what I thought ,the switch came prewired with the painless stuff but Ill see if its hooked up wrong .It wouldnt be the first goof Ive found with the notsopainless harness! I was doing some poking around with the blinkers checking to see if they acted stupid with the brake lights too and they did , then after about 5 minutes it stopped and every thing works normally now . Im sure the problem will show up again at the most convienent time.