• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9in info.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I have a small bearing in my bronco now and want a big bearing. I know the size of it but is there other cars that have the same width as the bronco I can look for or does it have to come from a bronco. I live in BFE so having new ends welded on is out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From what I understand, there really are no direct swaps available out there. Pretty much an EB or semi-custom. By "semi-custom" I mean something pre-made for a Bronco like from Currie or similar companies.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just out of curiosity, is there a big issue now that you have to deal with? Or are you planning for the future? There is really nothing wrong with the small bearings. Just not able to handle the same size loads as the larger bearings.
So if you're running, or thinking of running, larger tires, maybe you're on the right track. But otherwise, maybe it's not as big a deal as you might think.

Paul

OP
OP
burntfish

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I am running the small with 35 splines now and have to replace the bearing just about every time I take it out. I also have a explorer rear disk to put on it. I am running 35 krawlers now and want to got to 39's.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
If your running tires that large then you want to ditch the early style banjo housing and get a newer tapered web housing for the strength anyways. With 39's you might think about going full width.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
i run the small bearing axle as well and i beat the piss out of it and have never had any issues with it...i run yukon axles with 35" boggers and 4.56 gears

OP
OP
burntfish

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I would like to go full at some time but for now I dont have the funds to start over when my 9 is strrong enough.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
For all the trouble you are having/going through. It would be easiest to remove the ends and replace them with the big bearing ends. I believe BCB sells them. It shouldnt be terribly difficult to do. Definitely something you should be able to have done in one day up in Grand Junction (make an appointment)...although I am sure that there is a competent welder in Ouray or Silverton....cant be any worse than some of the factory tubes I have seen.