• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Small Block Ford Questions 302/5.0

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Getting ready to pick up a Engine for one of my rigs but I have a few questions first. I have a few leads on some low mileage 5.0's from some mustangs and Explorers. If I can get one complete I may go FI during the swap but if I just get a rebuilt 5.0 HO long block I will go carb for a while.

-What years or style heads use different bolt patterns/styles on the exhaust manifolds. (just a deciding factor of price if I need to buy special headers and get some exhaust work done.

-What years or years do I need to worry about the different Dist drive gears?

-Are all Ford cranks drilled for manual input shafts even if they are Autos of will I have to have a machine shop drill the crank for me if its an auto?

-What years/motor configurations use a different firing order?

-Anything else I need to worry about of missed?

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I can help with the first question but that is about it.

The GT40 heads are great and came on the explorer 95-97. In 98, they went to GT40p heads which are slightly better but require special headers.

The GT40 heads have more options and I think the stock headers work.

Just go with the GT40p heads and get the sweet BCB headers. ;)

OP
OP
Zillacon

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I have also found some low mileage 88-93 mustang motors complete with harness and computer, would that be a better option.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
having owned several 5.0 mustangs, i would NOT recommend you get one of these. the other cars with the 5.0L HO engine are the 91-93 t-birds/cougars, all are automatic, and driven, not raced at every stop sign like the stangs. that is what I got.:cool:

the explorer 5.0 engines have better heads and intakes, but do not have the HO cam and the head valve springs are low tension/revving.:-X

I installed the gtp explorer heads in mine with the mustang gtp headers and the dual performance valve springs.:cool:

OP
OP
Zillacon

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
what did you guys use for flywheels that have manuals? Dont they have a differnt balance between the newer and older motors?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Just try to find the lowest mileage motor possible. If possible, run a compression test. It doesnt matter if it was an auto or manual. If you you are going to run a manual, go to NAPA and ask for a flywheel for a 92 F150 manual tranny with a 5.0....that will get you the correct Pioneer flywheel with the correct balance (for ~ $85) and its the correct size for our 11" clutch. The only caveat is that you will not be able to run a original style 3-finger clutch (bolt patterns are different), you will have to go with a newer (better) diaphram style clutch (which is drilled for both bolt patterns). I prefer LUK clutches; Centerforce-II are good, but not sure they are worth the extra $$.

Good luck finding the motor. Ideally a 96-97.5 Explorer is best...GT40 heads will work with your headers (if you already have some), it has GT40 intakes (better flow than Mustang), 19 lb injectors (same as Mustang 5.0 ECM that you will need to run for EFI), and a return style fuel rail. All of the good, none of the negative. As well, the front dress of the Explorers (all years) are shorter than the Mustang serpentine front dress, which means you have more room for your radiator.

With all that said, any will do. A clean, low mileage runner would be the most ideal...but if you are going to do any work to it (re-ring, reseal, etc), then it really doesnt matter...however, the Explorers have all the goodies that many people look for as "upgrades".

Good luck!