• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

drivetrain noise?

scruffyb

Loc.
statesville, nc
ever since getting my bronco out of a bad shop that had it for over a year doing a engine rebuild and "engine bay clean up" I've had a horrible noise. After I get over 35mph I get a knocking noise when I just trying to maintain speed, it goes away if I accelerate or coasts, it gets louder the faster I go. A friend told me it sounded like the u-joints on the front drive shaft, so I removed the shaft and although I think I precieve it to be a little quieter its still very noticable. Can anybody tell me something more to look at and how to check it properly?

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Can you narrow it down to if you think it is coming from the engine or suspension?

If it's from the engine, it could be a lifter, valve or pre-detonation.

If it's not the engine, it could be a wheel bearing issue or maybe even something in the transfer case or tranny.

So again, can you narrow it down any?

rwill

nise

Assuming stock type lock out hubs the front drive saft should not be turning, until you lock it in. Replace front shaft,remove the rear drive shaft, drive it and see if trhe noise has gone away. If it has the problem is in the rear drive shaft joints, or the rear end.
Good luck.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You must think we're all psychic or something :p

Is it an automatic or manual? If automatic, you might check the torque converter bolts...I had a friend recently pick up a knock in his Mustang with an almost brand new engine and that's what it turned out to be. It didn't help that he had just put new heads on it, so he kept thinking engine/bottom end when all of that was just fine.

OP
OP
S

scruffyb

Loc.
statesville, nc
I don't think it is from the engine as the frequency dosen't seem to change just the volume as you try to float at faster speeds. I can try rwill's suggestion but the sound definatly seems to be coming from the front of the truck. with it parked and the hubs and tcase engaged how much should I be able to rotate either driveshaft by hand?

OP
OP
S

scruffyb

Loc.
statesville, nc
I'll look in to Apogee's suggestion tonight as well. Not tightening the converter bolts would be on par for the shop that did the engine work. They managed to give me an engine with no dipstick, dipstick tube, or any way to check the oil, plug wires melted into the headers, altenator spacer replaced with crushed copper tubing, lost my jack, P. steering now leaks badly.....so something else being their fault does seem likely.