• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Traction Bar Adjustment Basics

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

I have searched the forum regarding help with the proper set-up of rear traction bars, and I have also sent an email to Duff for their advice. I was just wondering if someone can give me a couple of basics before I hear back from Duff.

I replaced the leaf springs from the previous build with new 3-1/2 lift 11-leaf springs because the Bronco squatted down in the rear. There were some inconsistencies with the previous build, and I want to make sure I do this right.

(I was told that the lift was a Duff kit; but, so far the only thing I can really confirm for certain are the shocks.)

The new springs are in, and the traction bars are attached; but, they aren't adjusted.

The main questions I have are:

1. Should the traction bars be adjusted with the tires on the ground, or with the axle at full droop?

2. What are the actual specs for set-up? (In other words, what is optimal for street and trail?)

(I have some other questions; but, I didn't want to ask too much in one thread. From what I have read, traction bars may not be the best option for axle wrap; however, are they better than nothing until something better is installed? I will also be looking for help with the parking brake lines... disk brakes were installed on the rear, and the way the parking brake lines are run, they limit the droop of the axle.)

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
Well, the rear traction bar is there to keep the rear axle from twisting forward too far. Set the vehicle on the ground and adjust accordingly.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
1. On the ground - that's where it SHOULD spend most of its time, so that's where it needs to be set.

2. Optimal is minimum change in pinion angle relative to the crankshaft/trans/t-case through the suspension's travel. Anything more specific depends on your specific setup. It's lots & lots of geometry, but most of it is 2D (plane).

E-brake cables don't stand up well as axle limit straps, so I'd get some real straps on there before you damage the brakes, or a lot more...

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I know some of this is just common sense... it's just good to hear it from others.

From what I have read, pinion angle should only 1 or 2 degrees. Sound right? I will measure the pinion and driveshaft angles when I get the Bronco with its weight back on the ground.

Regarding the parking brake cables... I should 'fess up that that I haven't done my homework on the is topic, so it's probably a little premature to get into it. I can say that I am not promoting the use of the cables as a way to limit travel... it's just the way it is with the previous owners' set-ups were done, and I don't like the way they limit the axle travel. The parking brake cables are actually secured to the axle brackets that were installed for the rear-most shocks on a dual shock set-up. I think new brackets which would allow different routing and more travel would be a better idea. I'll post a couple of pics when I get that far.

Thanks again for the input.

Jeff