• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Creaky front wheel/hub?

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
Guys-

Driving with the windows down today and I hear a "creak" coming from my passenger side wheel/hub area. I can only hear it when I pass a concreate wall or pass a van (the sound bounces off that and then I can hear it, so its not too loud). I take a quick look and I see grease on the outside of the hub.

What should I look for when I open the hub up later? This is on a '66 Bronco with a front brake conversion and has Warn hubs.

Dave

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
sounds like a wheel bearing is about to go out, grease getting hot and moving to the hubs. when mine did that i found out the hard way on what it was%)

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
more then likely its the outer. but replace all 4 at the same time.

OP
OP
Dave_in_Texas

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
Got it done tonight. Turned out to be the inner one...I could see where the small spring/coil slipped out.

FYI...conversion done 2 years ago by me and I opened them up a year ago to check on lube...all good.

Dave

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So you're saying it was the locking hub mechanism? Or a bearing?

Paul

OP
OP
Dave_in_Texas

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
Should have taken a pic...it wasn't the big spring with the locking mechanism you may be thinking of, but a much, much smaller one...perhaps came from the cap that is on the inside of the hub towards the back?

Dave

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's what I was wondering. Normally those springs can't escape, but I suppose anything is possible.
And speaking of that large spring, you don't still have it in yours, do you? If you've got Warn, or any other brand of aftermarket hub, that spring can't be in there. It comes out and stays out with all of the other original stuff.
So if it's in there, take it out.
If not, no problemo.

Still, would be interesting to find out how the other one escaped.

But my question was, was the noise caused by the spring, or an inner bearing? You only said "the inner one" when you said you fixed it. So I was curious.
I guess you meant the inner spring though, from what it sounds like.

Thanks

Paul