• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Choke with header install

rubywoofs

Loc.
Southlake
I'm getting Chuck's headers and exhaust set up for my otherwise stock 74 with a 302. I still have the automatic choke, and I suspect the connections to the existing stock manifolds are rusted in. So, what's the easiest effective way to deal with my choke? Is there a way to attach the choke rod to the new headers? How difficult is it to switch to an electric choke?

Thanks

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
if stock,you should have an electric/heat riser choke unless some one swaped to a carb with heat riser only.I ran mine for years with out the heat riser just electric.

OP
OP
rubywoofs

rubywoofs

Loc.
Southlake
hmm, I like the possibility of "do nothing" as a good response to my issue. How do I tell if I have electric with the heat riser?

70_Steve

Old Guy
In addition to the electric part of the stock choke, there is a hot air connection as well. There should be two tubes running down to the stock exhaust manifold. One will be a fresh air supply, from a connectikon at the top of the carb above the throttle plates. The other will be a hot air "return" back to the choke assy, normally covered in a fiberglass insulating wrap. There is a vacuum connection inside the choke housing which causes fresh air to be drawn from the carb, through the exhaust manifold where it gets heated, them back up to the choke.

You can duplicate this on your headers with a simple length of tubing. Just wrap it around one of the header tubes a couple times, and maybe wrap it with some header/exhaust wrap.