• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Skid plate designs - NP205 and rear fuel tank

bsquared

Contributor
Thought I'd share these designs, in case anyone is working on the same things.

NP205 w/ duals - was looking at going 2 into 1 for the exhaust, but there was no easy way over to the pass side w/ long tube headers. Decided to go under the frame and build a skid plate. 2.25 exhaust doesn't hang much lower than the NP205, so I was able to protect them both. Already had a 4x4x1/4" angle protecting the fuel pump and accumulator on the pass side, so I added one to the driver side to help protect the new on board air. Made the bends by scoring the plate with a cutoff wheel and then widening it with a grind wheel. Had to go almost all the way through to get it to bend. Then welded up the seams when I had the right angles.

Rear Fuel Tank - Still had over 1/2 of the sheet of 3/16" plate that I used for the NP205 plate, so I thought I'd try my hand at one for the fuel tank. I have it laid out, but haven't started cutting yet. Forward tabs should line up with the holes that are already in the cross member in front of the fuel tank. (I have a 2" body lift....might be a lot more trouble to get in there without it) Also, the rear of my frame has been trimmed a bit to fit the Bailie Bilt bumper I put on a year ago. Others might need to add a couple of inches to this layout to fit right.

Will post pics of that one when done. (assuming it fits!) Hope it helps, B2

Attachments

• NakedExhaust.JPG
    NakedExhaust.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 75
  • NP205PlateDriver.JPG
    NP205PlateDriver.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 82
  • NP205PlatePass1.JPG
    NP205PlatePass1.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 81
  • NP205SkidPlate.jpg
    NP205SkidPlate.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 65
  • FuelSkidPlateJPG.jpg
    FuelSkidPlateJPG.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 56

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I like your design! Do you have additional structure behind the plate? I have a 1/4" thick skid plate under my t-case that I bent up pretty bad on the rocks. I need to rebuild mine with either thicker plate or some tube or angle for additional support.