• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing kill switch

texbronc

Loc.
Austin, TX
I'm interested in installing a kill switch. Is there a good one to order online or should I pick something up at the local parts store? I'm assuming it should be installed hidden under the dash? Thx.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Just a normal switch will be fine. If electric gas pump put another kill some where else too.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a key lock switch mounted on a bracket in my glove box on my other Ford. If your glove box also locks it gives it that much more security.

I had a friend who used his cigarette lighter in his classic as a kill switch. Pretty much fool proof. I think only the 66-67 had the cig. lighter on the Bronco.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I have a key lock switch mounted on a bracket in my glove box on my other Ford. If your glove box also locks it gives it that much more security.

I had a friend who used his cigarette lighter in his classic as a kill switch. Pretty much fool proof. I think only the 66-67 had the cig. lighter on the Bronco.

My 69 has a cigarette lighter. Not sure if it came with it, but it is a stock one.

Knifemaker

Loc.
Youngsville, La.
Ethansdad73, I installed the same basic kit from painless works great takes battery power away from entire system with the push of a hidden button. Will keep the honest thief from going thru alot of trouble to steal your EB

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
My Bronco is primitive..... Screwdriver and a length of wire and someone would have mine (carb/dizzy -old school).

I use the fuel select valve located just below/in front of driver seat as a kill switch...... rotate fuel valve to off and pull handle and stick in my pocket.

If you are still using or have dual tanks, still hooked up and working- remove the screw that holds the lever to switch tanks and remove when in a (bad) area.

They will not make it far due to a fuel problem......hehe:-X

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can also install another Ford starter solenoid inline with your existing one with the switch terminals going to a seperate (toggle) kill switch.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I like the magnetically activated reed switch idea. No switch to even find, just have to know where the magnet goes.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I have two. They are regular switches mounted in my Tuffy console. One grounds the coil so it won't fire. The other cuts the ground to the electric fuel pump, so if it fires, they'll only make it a block or so.

If someone really wants to steal your bronco though, a tow cable, a flat bed, or some friends to push, is all it really takes.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I use the fuel select valve located just below/in front of driver seat as a kill switch...... rotate fuel valve to off and pull handle and stick in my pocket.
Cool idea, I was wondering what I was gonna do with that hole...

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
See if you can find a hidden magnetic switch?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPEEDAIRE-Metric-Reed-Switch-4MY49
You are looking for a Normally Open Magnetic Reed switch. You can find them from $1-$50 in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and ratings.
Hide it in the seat cusion, behind a stainless or plastic panel, in the sun visor, in the wiper cover, outside the vehicle, anywhere. Wire it to a relay inline between the ignition switch and solenoid, a relay to electric fuel pump, anything that will keep it from starting.

Or you could pay a $125 for a prebuilt kit.
MagTech on the previous link.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT

If you are still using or have dual tanks, still hooked up and working- remove the screw that holds the lever to switch tanks and remove when in a (bad) area.

They will not make it far due to a fuel problem......hehe:-X

I LOVE IT! I have thought about kill switch but really for an experienced or determined thief really easy to overcome with a jumper, and seems to me easy to find.

The fuel starve idea probably wouldn't fool a bronco brother for long but it is probably the last thing someone would look for.