• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Drum Adjustment Help

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Hey All-

I recently re-did my drums on my 9" (it has the 79' Bronco drums) and replaced the E-brake cables.

I adjusted the star wheel until I had slight drag on the drums and then took it for a spin around the block. The brakes worked so well I realized that my rears probably weren't working much at all previously but they are dragging a bit as I can feel the resistance.

I have two questions in regard to the resistance I am feeling. First, I think I remember on my 98' F150 if you drove in reverse it would adjust the rear drums to the correct setting... is that the case for this setup?

Second, I read in my Chilton (Ford Pick-ups & Bronco Automotive Repair Manual 1973 - 1979) that the stars should be facing towards the front of the vehicle and I don't think they are. I did one side at a time to make sure I did them right but I'm wondering if the PO did them incorrectly. I don't think they are wrong because the lever that prevents the wheel from spinning is in the right place as it is attached to the E-brake lever on the back of the shoe that is towards the rear so I'm not sure how I they could be backwards?

I guess it could be the E-brake is slightly engaged because I made sure there was some tension on the lines where it connects to the single cable but I wasn't able to engage the E-brake from the cab and the ebrake didn't work and wasn't engaged before.

Any ideas?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
First off do you have drums in the front also?

I think I remember on my 98' F150 if you drove in reverse it would adjust the rear drums to the correct setting
Its supposed to if you put on the brakes in reverse, but id rather just adjust them myself then i know there where i want them. Also remember that the drums need to seat so adjusting them a tad tight wouldnt hurt (of course unless u adjust them so tight they heat up). Just adjust them so the drag is similar, but recheck often until there seated.

http://broncograveyard.com/dia/6/brkdiaparts.jpg

I have 4wheel drums and after completly rebuilding all four corners and adjusting the truck wouldnt stop verry well. Then i adjusted them a tad tighter, and wala....stops on a dime....but pulled to one side. Adjusted the other side a bit tighter, and wala....stops straqight. With drums i think the key is to adjust often!