• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel tank sending unit

jray

I pulled my auxiliary fuel tank and disassembled everything. The sending unit works but the float has a hole in it and the strainer is a varnished up. How do the strainers install and how do you get the old ones off? Thanks for any advice.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
The floats were standard Ford parts on many makes and models. Napa or similar parts stores should have one. The strainer is removable.

OP
OP
jray

jray

Thanks for the tip on repairing the float Jerseydevil, hadn't thought of that. My main question was how do you remove the strainer? I didn't want to get too rough with it.

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
I just dropped my tank today and tonight I disassembled it. My float has a hole in it too. My strainer seems fine. It is made of plastic like material. Is yours? Ive no idea if this part is original or after market. I didn't think to look for markings at the time.
I put my digital meter on the sending unit and in the full position, it read 60 ohms. In empty position it read 0.5. When I tried positions in between, the readings jumped all around. Is that normal?

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
I should have clicked those links bknbronco posted before it tied to describe my strainer. That's the same thing I have.
I retract my statement about brazing the old float. $5 is a small price to pay for a new one. Plus it eliminates a potential small bomb. Sorry bout that.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Look familiar? I just replaced mine thinking 43 years of service was good enough.

SendingUnitHole.jpg

OP
OP
jray

jray

Thanks for the comments. So nobody else has any suggestions on how the strainer is removed/installed on the sender?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
There's no danger soldering a brass float. Throw it in the freezer for a minute or 2 so the air inside contracts & overfills it. Then dunk it in a glass of warm water & see where the bubbles come out. Turn that down so the gasoline gets pushed out before the air. Repeat until no gas is inside. Polish the hole with steel wool or sandpaper, and solder it with a common electric iron & rosin-core electrical solder. Repeat the freezer/water test until there are no holes.

The strainer just slides straight onto the pipe - only friction & varnish keep it there.

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Last night I was able to simply pull my strainer off of the suction tube. No trick to it. Just a tight fit.
Also, two days ago I flushed the tank and last night I cleaned and sanded and cleaned and sanded the area around my leaky seam and tried soldering it. Solder didnt want to stick to the metal even though it appeared to be clean. It took several tries but I finally got it to stick some what. I'm not at all satisfied with the results but it might work. If not, I'll try again.

OP
OP
jray

jray

Jerseydevil, the five dollar float from Jeff's sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I don't want to put an old repaired one back in then have problems down the road. Gotta order the strainer anyway....along with a few other parts.

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
We're you able to pull the strainer off? I agree ,$5.00 float is the way to go. When I suggested repairing it, i didnt know the float was removable; and I was thinking about a friend who's sending unit had a non removable float. $50.00 for a new unit even though the old one was fine except for the bad float. He did fix the float with no further problems. That was over 10 years ago.

OP
OP
jray

jray

Yes, Jerseydevil. The screen part disintegrated but what was left twisted and pulled right off. The pickup tube was plugged with varnish, the tank had been almost empty for quite a while. One bottom corner had a crack in it.