• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

harmonic balancer timing mark

triracer67

Contributor
My 302 harmonic balancer only has one timing mark? I've cleaned it a few times, no degree marks are apparent. Is this mark TDC, or 6 degrees? I have a photo, but can't upload.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Why not treat the car to a new one? If it is that old it will end up coming apart on you anyway. I've had it happen on a road trip. No damage done but it was pretty noisy.

nrramse

Why not treat the car to a new one? If it is that old it will end up coming apart on you anyway. I've had it happen on a road trip. No damage done but it was pretty noisy.

x2. My brother lost a good radiator on his Cutlass because the dampner flew into it.

lillsteve

Loc.
Granbury, TX
X3. If you have it apart now is the time to replace your harmonic balancer as they are becoming harder to locate and can cause you a real headache when they fail. I just had to order my new harmonic balancer for my 302 and it took a week to arrive, I would hate to have been waiting on the side of the road.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
My 302 harmonic balancer only has one timing mark? I've cleaned it a few times, no degree marks are apparent. Is this mark TDC, or 6 degrees? I have a photo, but can't upload.

You might actually be looking at a notch that's in the balancer, but is NOT a timing mark. The marks are about 90 degrees or so from where that notch is.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Find TDC and mark your pulley. But I agree, if it is old and the rubber is shot, then the weight can spin or come off. So as said probably worth the money to replace.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X3. If you have it apart now is the time to replace your harmonic balancer as they are becoming harder to locate and can cause you a real headache when they fail. I just had to order my new harmonic balancer for my 302 and it took a week to arrive, I would hate to have been waiting on the side of the road.

You must be thinking of something else. Harmonic balancers are plentiful and arrive in a couple of days.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...O/Engine-Size/5-0L-302/Year/1974/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
With everything else installed normally, pull the #1 plug & drop a plastic drinking straw into the hole so you can watch the piston's movement as you turn the crank by the HB bolt. When the straw stops rising, back the HB off and approach it again slowly to get it at the EXACT TDC, then make a mark on your HB where the 0 pointer is. If it's not where the factory mark was, replace the HB.