• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

c4 swap

bobzilla

Loc.
Riverside, ca
looking to replace my stock 3 spd manual for an automatic. I kinda wanted an overdrive trans but the cost looked to be a little expensive. With the cost of the trans, the controler, the driveline changes and everything else i dont think i would ever recoup the cost with fuel savings and what not. So i was just thinking about throwing a c4 in there and calling it a day. What parts would be needed for this swap. Will the drive shaafts work or is the tranny legnth different. Also is the 3 speed worth anything? Its been rebuilt and has a new clutch.

ransil

Bronco Guru
If this is a street only bronco I would stay with the 3 speed.
The old 3 speed is not worth much cant even give them away sometimes.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
looking to replace my stock 3 spd manual for an automatic. I kinda wanted an overdrive trans but the cost looked to be a little expensive. With the cost of the trans, the controler, the driveline changes and everything else i dont think i would ever recoup the cost with fuel savings and what not. So i was just thinking about throwing a c4 in there and calling it a day. What parts would be needed for this swap. Will the drive shaafts work or is the tranny legnth different. Also is the 3 speed worth anything? Its been rebuilt and has a new clutch.

I agree you probably won't recoup the cost of an OD swap with fuel savings but the versatility of the car is improved a lot. If you want lower gears for good trail performance and don't want to trailer your rig, OD is the only reasonable answer.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
There are many threads with the parts list. I did this two years ago almost. The most disturbing item about the swap is the toque converter sucks power and lowers the fuel economy and performance. Your 3 speed takes about 5 hp to drive, the c4 is more like 25 hp.

You need a C4 from a Bronco with the transfer case adaptor / output shaft combination. Once you have that your existing t-case and driveshafts are unchanged.

C4 trans
torque converter
flexplate
A/T style starter
A/T style engine plate
Trans cooler and fan
Shifter

OP
OP
B

bobzilla

Loc.
Riverside, ca
the truck will be a jack of all trades. mild trails and cruiser. just something fun for the family. It has a 351 33" tires and will have a 2.5 lift. the fuel economy is really not that much of a big deal, with this set up i got about 12.5 mpg over about 100 miles going about 70mph. with this kinda of vehicle its not about miles per gallon, its smiles per gallon. again i would love the o.d. but it sounds like a lot of work and money for not that big of a payoff for my dollar.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
the truck will be a jack of all trades. mild trails and cruiser. just something fun for the family. It has a 351 33" tires and will have a 2.5 lift. the fuel economy is really not that much of a big deal, with this set up i got about 12.5 mpg over about 100 miles going about 70mph. with this kinda of vehicle its not about miles per gallon, its smiles per gallon. again i would love the o.d. but it sounds like a lot of work and money for not that big of a payoff for my dollar.

I just did a OD swap (4R70W) and it is pretty expensive, especially if you factor in the need to re-gear.

I didn't do it for the fuel savings as I don't think there is one when your right foot is enjoying a peppy 5.0.

I did it to improve general comfort at hiway speeds. We take ours on long trips which include extended hiway driving and a high revving whining motor doesn't allow your wife to nag you............heh, wait a minute..................why did I do this ?

;D

Seriously, I wanted it quieter and cooler in the cab, lower gears for wheelin', and the ability to create custom shift points for different uses. If I happen to get better MPG then even better.