• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff's 11 pack Heavy Duty Springs vs. Soft Ride

bentendo

Hey guys,

I'm still tweaking my '72, dialing in different systems and getting it *just* where I want it before I go all-in on body work, etc.

Anyway, part of my build up was a 3.5" lift from Duff's. Since I was originally planning on running the hardtop, they recommended I go with the HD leaf springs.

Well, it's summertime in Memphis… so that top had to come off. And the doors. ;D

The ride quality is not so great without that extra weight. Not horrible, but definitely improves when I've loaded up on gravel and soil from hardware store trips.

My questions are: even if I plan to go soft top for my final build, are the soft ride springs just asking for a sagging rear down the road? Should I keep the HD springs and continue to let them "mellow"?

I've been driving on these springs for, at most, a little over 1000 miles. The purpose of this truck is mostly camping/canoeing/outdoor adventuring type stuff, so I'm leaning towards just dealing with the stiffer springs when not loaded down, and then being thankful they're there when we load up gear/supplies.

Thoughts?

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I have a similar setup and have been considering taking off my hardtop. I will be watching this thread to see some responses.

rekoj71

If I remember right there were several vendors selling 11 and 10 pack leaves and also stating that if the 11's felt too stiff you could just pull out one of the longer leaves to soften it up and just run 10 leaves.

77BRONKOTN

I have Duffs 11 pack and soft top. I bought their plate rear bumper and tire carrier. With the high lift jack/spare tire combo hanging off the back, it smoothed out the ride alot.

At the Bronco Super Celebration I also had two adults in the back and it rode perfect through the forest.

With stock bumper and really no more added weight, I would probably lighten the springs up. Now with the tire etc, I'll run the 11s.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I have yet to drive it, but the 8pack cage/sexton springs are supposed to be softer... I'll let you know in about 6 months;)