• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Triple Pass installed...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Now that I got Chuck's Triple Pass installed, what temps should I expect from the engine as it idles in park in 103 degrees F? It's a carbureted 408 stroker with 10.5 to 1 compression with completely separate cooler for the auto tranny.

backpain

Bronco Guru
depends on fan, airflow (obstructions), coolant (mixture), etc. But all other things accommodating, you should be able to control that engine with that radiator in that heat.

Don't leave us hanging - what temps are you experiencing - this week has the heat to put it to the test.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I have the complete exploder set-up, including fan and cluth and stock 77 bronco fan shroud. There are no obstructions. I don't know what the anti-freeze mixture is but last time I checked it was protected to -10 degrees F. Then today after draining the radiator, I filled the new radiator with straight water which mixed with however much antifreeze mixture was left in the engine block. I have a 160 thermostat in it and it stayed at 160 for about ten minutes. Then it slowly creeped up to 180 and stayed there until i shut it off twenty minutes later.

backpain

Bronco Guru
Sounds pretty good to me. I'd even say that was textbook. Many will be jealous of those numbers.

Is your stop and go any worse? I assume highway is better.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I'll finish cinching it in place tomorrow morning and then take it for a test run in town and on the highway and see how it goes. More tomorrow.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
it should run at whatever temp your t stat is. 160 may be a little to low as once the water warms up the tstat will stay fully open. Heat transfers better when there is a larger temp variance between the outside air and the coolent. basically meaning that if its 100 degrees outside and your coolent temp is 190 well you'll transfer more heat than you would if your coolent temp is 160..
Id run at least a 180 tstat. those 160's are really only good for the track IMO.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I too would run a 180 t-stat...better for a street engine anyway IMO. With the higher temp t-stat, I would expect it to run right around 180 to 190 like it sounds like it does now, but more consistently.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had far better results with my 408 in extreme heat with a 195 stat. A 160 is a bad choice for any engine (although they are quite common in marine engines..) ..a 180 is "ok, I guess" but a 195 makes most engines the happiest overall. My 408 would not reliably stay cool and controlled under severe tempand/or trail conditions with less than a 195. I'm running a 3-pass raddy too, btw.

My experience and .02 worth.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
160 is way too low, get a 180-190 for carb, maybe even 200-210 with EFI.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Ok, here's how it went. during in town traffic it stayed between 180 and 190. then while stopped in gear at stoplights, it would climb to about 200 maybe 205. Then back to 185 or so once moving again. On the highway it ran about 180. I wanted to keep it around 160 because the engine pings once the temp passes 170.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
yep your t stat is staying open hence the rise in temps. high compression builds heat no getting around it except run premium fuel and back off the timing. What heads are you running? what cam?

krisbassett

I'm running a 210* in my EFI 351 and it stays 215* no matter if it's -10* or 100* it also runs much better than it did with the 180* I don't think I was ever getting out of open loop.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I was trying to build a torquey motor so I used Trick Flow heads and an RV type cam. The intake is a Weiand Stealth and it still has stock exhaust manifolds at the moment. Planning on putting shortie headers in there next. The distributor is one of those one wire HEI units.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
probably have way to much compression for a RV type cam although it shouldnt be to bad with aluminum heads. either too much timing or need better fuel or maybe your jetted to lean.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I backed off the timing and have been using highest octane available with octane boost as well. Will re-jet the carb on step richer.