• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb experts come in...

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
I am looking forward to converting to efi when I get the funds, but for now I want to try and fix an issue I'm having.

Usually on a cold start, I pump the gas twice and it fires up. Sometimes it may take a bit of turning over but it usually doesn't give much issues.

The problem is when it is warm. In order for it to start I have to put it to the floor. If I pump the gas it will flood and it takes a while to restart, leaving me temporarily stranded. If I put it to the floor and it doesn't start, odds are it will flood next try.

It is an edelbrock carb...

Otherwise it runs and drives great. It doesn't flood very often, but every time I get in to restart, I get a little nervous. It would be nice to not have to worry anymore.

Thanks

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
On cold start i hold to the floor for a sec and let go. That sets the choke

On warm start if it dont start right off the bat, i push the gas a tiny bit for a split second. The problem on mine is that when its hot the gas in the bowl is under such pressure that if you open the throttle the gas pours into the carb (I mean i can hear the gas squirting out from inside the cab, thats how much pressure builds from the heat). If you just bump the throttle lightly and quickly it only allows a tiny bit of gas to get out rather than a flood.

By putting it to the floor your basically cleaning out a flooded carb by opening the air venturies open all the way and making up for all the gas.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I've been noticing this issue as well, normally my Edelbrock is very eager to start, but when it gets hot you have to grind on it a little bit. Good stuff to know.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
It sounds like your carb is collecting heat and the fuel in the bowl is either vaporining and there is no fuel for it to start or the fuel is under pressure and pouring out when you go to start. You can help yourself out with one of these. This link is for a Holley flange but can find one or make one for your carb using the base gasket as a template. Just be sure it extends under the fuel bowls.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-Under-Carb-Heat-Shield/743655/10002/-1

graniteguy

Loc.
Kempner, TX
you didn't mention if electric or manual choke.

Something came to my attention as I was searching for 3g alt conversion. Most electric chokes are tied to back of alternator. Our stock alternator provides 6 volts for the choke (3g is 12v), not 12. Edelbrock requires 12. I read that, then checked mine and sure enough it was 6 (7.xx while running).

I tied into a wire at the regulator so its fixed now.

Not sure if this applies to you, but it may help someone else.

The other thing I read was the distributor wire has resistance to drop it to 6 volts also. You want the full voltage if you swap to aftermarket (hei). Mine showed full voltage while running so I'm stumped on that one. I was gonna use that wire to trigger a relay straight from the battery.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The problem is when it is warm. In order for it to start I have to put it to the floor. If I pump the gas it will flood and it takes a while to restart, leaving me temporarily stranded. If I put it to the floor and it doesn't start, odds are it will flood next try.
Thanks

Sometimes a warm-start issue is timing related. Your timing might be too far advanced...

OP
OP
craigaria

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
It has an electric choke that is not used. Even during the winter it would crank right up when cold. Once started just had to rev the motor a few times and it will stay idleing.

It could be the timing. The engine has ran so well since I bought it, I have never checked the timing to see where it is at. But I have not noticed any spark knock.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
It has an electric choke that is not used. Even during the winter it would crank right up when cold. Once started just had to rev the motor a few times and it will stay idleing.

If by not used you mean you don't have a wire hooked up to the choke then what you mean is your not using the stove housing to pull the choke off. This means the choke is staying on untill the under hood temps get high enough to shut it off. This would exemplify your hot start/rich condition.