• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad Harmonic Balancer??? Engine Knock

rmiller747

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Highland, Mi
Need some help please.

New reman/rebuild 351w less than 600 miles on it. Mechanical work done by someone else so I do not have many details....

Drove it a week or so and starting hearing a knocking noise coming from the front end of the engine. Sounded to me like it was coming from the front part of the engine, specifically the harmonic balancer area.

Had some friends come over and advised to swap the power steering pump. The old pump had some play in the shaft and you could push it in and out and hear a popping sound. Assumed this was it. NOTE: the knocking sound went away when I disconnected the power steering belt. Again pointing towards the pump.

Bought a pump from NAPA and installed. NOTE: this new pump also had some play in the shaft (in and out) and popped before install. Not sure if this is normal or not? Anyway installed the new pump and still have the exact same issue.

Still sounds to me like it is coming from the harmonic balancer but the noise does go away when I remove the pump belt.

Questions?

Is the shaft play normal? Could the new pump from Napa be bad also?
I attached some pics and some videos. In one video when I rev you can see the belt jump a bit?
Can the power steering pump belt put extra load on the balancer causing me to only hear the knocking when it is connected?
The knocking sounds like it is only there at low RPMS but it is very hard to tell as the engine gets noisy.

Please look at the pics, videos and info above and give your 2 cents.

I was just going to swap the balancer but would really like to understand,

Thanks

Rich

IMG_00122.jpg

Video 1
https://picasaweb.google.com/117430909586386339003/74Glass02#5758881210803392034

Video 2
https://picasaweb.google.com/117430909586386339003/74Glass02#5758881527063695538

[youtube]-SUVfaq-IsY&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

[youtube]BeNkXRt1P3E&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hard to really tell anything but I would consider replacing that balancer all the cracks in the rubber ring are bad news. in the mean time I would check the blacner and pulley bolts to make sure they are tight. Might loosen the alt belt and see if you can feel any play in the balancer.