• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hub question

aliensecretion

Replacing my old warn hubs with new premium hubs. The old ones had this bolt and washer going into the spindle instead of a c-clip. On the new ones, the spindle doesn't stick out far enough to use the c-clip but the bolt and washer binds things up so the hub won't lock. Is it ok to leave them both off?

Attachments

• photo12.JPG
    photo12.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 45
  • photo11.JPG
    photo11.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 45

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
That doesn't look right. All of the Bronco hubs I have taken apart had room for the c-clip. That bolt does not look "factory." Do you have the same bolts on both sides?

ohpoo2

Contributor
I believe its ok has something to do with the chevy disc conv. think the spindle is just a tad longer.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I believe its ok has something to do with the chevy disc conv. think the spindle is just a tad longer.

I have ran mine without bolt or clip for 21 years with no problem. I believe you can custom outershafts that are a little longer and cut for the c clip and chevy disc conversion

OP
OP
aliensecretion

aliensecretion

Thanks guys. I know the PO did the chevy conversion so...
Everything works the way it should without the nut and washer so I'll leave it out and see how it does.

I don't know why I waited so long to redo that front end! New ball joints, camber corrector bushings, u joints, bearings and all new brake stuff. Handles 10 times better and I can actually make an emergency stop without rolling the Bronco over! Aside from a new engine, this was the most noticeable thing I've done in the 3 yrs I've had it!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... It's been about 4 years since I've had to pack my bearings, But I've done about 40 sets of them in the past years.. That clip is hard to get on sometimes .. But I've always been able to get a drift or seal punch bar behind the u-joint and push it outward enabling me to get the C Clip on the stub axle.. And back about 5 years ago I 1st read on this sight about using the 3/8 bolt with a big flat washer to replace the C Clip ..
... I'd want the C Clip or the bolt one on it .. Too keep the axle fully engaged the spline of your lockers ..