• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Build - Sealant - What is best ?

kiteoregon

I plan on assembling the motor tomorrow, i would like to only make one trip to Napa, so what tubes of what product do i need. I have all the gaskets and such, just looking for what sealant people prefer. Will one product work for everything, or are there some distinct different products i need to get for different parts of the motor?

Thanks.

KO

patterdale

Bronco Guru
As little as possible. A small tube of silicon to seal corners of intake and some hitack gasket cement to keep things like water pump gasket and valve cover gaskets in place until the parts are properly torqued. Most of your surfaces should be smooth enough and clean enough that the gasket is all that is needed. On some of the Ford engines you need a lot of silicon for the pan gasket because that is what it is made of. If Yours is stock bronco engine this is not the case.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
I agree, as little as possible. The gaskets do the sealing.. But, I also prefer the Ford/Motorcraft diesel silicone. I've always called it "Ford grey".. Its some bad ass stuff, make sure not to use too much or it will never come back apart. It will also not fail or leak..

Ford products