• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 axle u joint replacement

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I just discovered my U joints in my front axle shafts are toast. Its been a very long time since I had the D44 opened up or the knuckles apart. Can I pull the axles right out or is there a keeper inside the diff that I have to remove to get the shafts out? I'll be getting the U joints this week and getting it after it. I plan to do my Tie Rod over GM 1 ton TRE's and WH track bar riser at the same time. Would there be any real advantage to pulling the front axle out completely to do this or am I just creating extra work for myself/

4BTEB

Loc.
Rhome, Texas
You just have to pull the hubs off, then the axle shafts just slide out. I did a track bar riser and tro while it was stil on the bronco, not too difficult.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I was pretty sure that was the case but wanted to be sure. Now if I can find the U joints locally I'll be set.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Yea, just checked online. Looks like Autozone and Advance auto both have them. Going on the way to work in the morning

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Before you get too far into it, look at the ears of the axle. where the U-joint caps are (were?) at. When the joints break the ears tend to smack real hard and egg out. More often then not you will need both inner and outer shafts as well.

The generic parts store U-joints are known for being the weakest. They are harder to find but get a Spicer U-joint.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Before you get too far into it, look at the ears of the axle. where the U-joint caps are (were?) at. When the joints break the ears tend to smack real hard and egg out. More often then not you will need both inner and outer shafts as well.

The generic parts store U-joints are known for being the weakest. They are harder to find but get a Spicer U-joint.

I pulled the driver side axle tonight and It does not look like its egged out. I'm not overly concerned about the u joints because I'm wanting to do new axles when I get my ARB's ( I hope by this winter ). I am a bit concerned about the amount of crud in the axle tube. I can't think of any good way to clean it out without pulling the cover off the diff.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you wheel, opt for the non-greasable spicers if available their stronger.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I found Federal Mogul U joints today, not Spicer but at least they are made in the USA! I think I may pull the trigger on an ARB for the front as well. The Amount of crud in the axle tubes was so bad that I pulled the cover off of the diff. I was pleased that it didn't have any moisture in it but I think it had some at one time because the cover has a few surface rust spots above the oil line. At least the crud in the tubes does not appear to have made it into the diff.

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 27

captbo

Loc.
Southern Maryland
I have the same project going, I am also install in front disc ( ford set up) ,,
will regular grade 8 bolts do it or is there a special bolt used to mount the spindles calper hangers and such?

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist

Guess what, you were right. Turned out to be only the outer axle on the driver side. It didn't look bad to the eye but a straight edge told another story. I went to my drive line shop and talked to the owner about it and as luck would have it, he had a good used outer shaft. He even put in my u joints for me. Got it all done including the outer shaft for $45. Worked out well.