• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing power steering pump... do I plug the steering box holes?

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Long story short, I need to run my car without my power steering pump for a little while. I have those two hoses running out of my power steering box to the pump, now they are just dangling there. Am I supposed to unscrew those from the box, and plug the holes with bolts?

What about fluid? I take it you just fill it up before plugging, right?

And just wondering... but I've got 37's... how much of a PITA is that thing going to be to maneuver?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do not plug. That will hydrolock the steering box and you will have no steering.
But you can loop the hose from one port to the other and it will steer. I can't imagine 37's will be fun at all. It will be just like trying to steer with a stalled engine.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
Do not plug. That will hydrolock the steering box and you will have no steering.
But you can loop the hose from one port to the other and it will steer. I can't imagine 37's will be fun at all. It will be just like trying to steer with a stalled engine.

aren't the two ports in the box two different sizes? do you have to have a new hose made or is the fitting in the back of the pump the same as the return port in the box?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
aren't the two ports in the box two different sizes? do you have to have a new hose made or is the fitting in the back of the pump the same as the return port in the box?

The typical shadetree patch is to cut the hp line and slip that over the lp nipple

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When i bought my bronco many years ago the PO said the box was bad and i drove it for about two weeks after that without PS. Decided to just change the pump and worked fine but there was substantial play in the box. Don't know how long the PO drove it like that but it was a bear driving with 35's and wandered quite a bit. It's much worse than a manual box.