• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil leak - On bell housing, new pan gasket

phpnuke23

Hello:

Just replaced my oil pan gasket with a felpro three piece set, used a fully tube of number 2 gasket sealant and all I though was good. I put a new dip stick in got er full of oil to take out and test.

After the engine has been driven, or has set for about 5 minutes on idle, a drip of oil start again that appears between what I think is the main seal and the transmission. The old gaskets were awful, and I am pretty sure I seated them right, and now am faced with a new issue. The wierd part is that the oil looks old, not new oil.

I can watch it come down, it appears where the pan mets the metal potion of the tranny. I apologize I do not know the technical term.

Has anyone experienced this? Was it a main seal? DIY job? I did my oil pan gasket in about four hours if that gives an indication of ability of working on the car.

72 bronco, 302.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would also check your heads and intake manifold for oil. Valve cover could be leak source.

Eugene

OP
OP
P

phpnuke23

Repaced the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets. Number 2 sealant across all of them, RTV on corners. Problem still persists, only when the car is warm. Actually get's worse the hotter the car becomes. I think I am going to through some engine brite on it and head to a local wash to hit the bottom to get a better idea of where it is coming from. Where the semi circle of the pan meets the housing is where it looks like it is dripping from.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
It does sound like a rear main seal but I would also check the back of the intake if you used the cork gasket in the valleys with or without sealant. I think the general consensus (definitely my opinion) is to put a 3/8"-1/2" bead of sealant across the valleys (overlapping onto the intake gaskets) and forget about the cork.