• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing emergency brake cable from backing plate

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
This may be old news, but I was having a hell of a time getting the cables out of the backing plates when I did my rear brakes last week. There has to be a tool for this, but I ended up just slipping a hose clamp over the end of the cable, on the inside of the plate. Tightened it down about 1/4 inch from the plate and it popped right through. Of course I had to remove the clamp to get it all the way through, but... Maybe this will save someone some time later.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
use a socket that fit over the cable, forget what size, and as you push it down onto the expanded metal it pushes those togehter and the cable should pop through the plate.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Small hose clamp. Tighten the clamp as far away from the backing plate as you can and still compress the fingers. Start the cable through the backing plate until the clamp contacts the backing plate. Pull on the cable while loosening the clamp.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Various box end wrenches in 6 and 12 point varitios and standard and metric have worked for me. Slide the wrench over the fingers, tap into place with a hammer, pull cable out of backing plate, wrench falls on the ground to be used again.