• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Squealing PS Pump

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I am pretty sure it is the belt not the pump. Stock Bronco pump with PS and hydroboost. It has been squealing for a while but is slowly getting more annoying and constant. Everything works great and the fluid is topped off with PS fluid.

At idle it is usually ok if you have your foot on the brake. If you are cruising along at low speed it squeals constantly. If you move the wheel back and forth it does not change the sound. If you are in park foot off the brake it will squeal but stop as soon as you put your foot on the brake. I tried silicone spray and tighten the belt up but no change.

New or different belt? Sand the pulleys? Different spray product? I know serpentine but I am not ready to stop driving this for a yet!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had annoying belt squeal issues (not from slipping..simply due to friction between belt and pulley sides as the belt enters and leaves its wrap distance) that I could make go away by bead blasting the pulley. Problem is that's a PITA to do for the PS pulley.

Have you tried simply spraying it with actual "Belt Dressing"? I've had that work..though not for very long in some cases

jetdoc

Loc.
Horn Lake
This may sound crazy, but I had the same sound and issues after changing the high pressure hose, thought I had air in the system, so I did everything short of changing the pump. Low and behold it turned out to be the the alt belt making noise, even though all the belts seemed tight. I tightened up the alt belt even more, and noise gone. They are new belts and must be stretching a bit, but I would have bet it was the pump.Maybe my hearing is just getting worse as I get older %) ...just a shot..kept me from changing out the pump unnecessarily..also made me feel like a dumb ass..but lesson learned..keep us posted

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I'll slip the other one off and test it to be 100% sure. I may get in there with some 180 grit paper and try to sand the pulley. WOW is that sound annoying.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could also try changing to a different brand belt.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
My belt has to be tight as hell to keep from squealing. I went to a better NAPA belt and helped some.

bingen

Loc.
Cebu, Philippines
well guys, here's one! Not on my Bronco, but on my Durango. Power steering would squeel only when going up hill!?...
Had to order from the U.S. as I am in the Philippines, in the mean time, my friend, a local mechanic in the Philippines asked "How old is your Durango (2000)? Have you ever changed the fluid? (NO)" He said take here, I flush it out and change to new one!

PRESTO, no more squeel!!! Of course, I had gone through all your routes! Just got back from the US taking with me new water pump, fan clutch, new belts (serpentine), new suspension bushing...when I went to run the thing...hell that sound came. Tried additives, adjusting the belt tensioner (its new too)....

Sooooo, give it a try...flush the system, put new fluid!

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I sanded the pulley with 180 grit and it did not make much of a difference. I triple checked and it is topped off and it is new fluid (less than 400 miles).

The belt is new (less than 400 miles) but is skinny and not the type that are ribbed on the back like my alternator. Maybe a belt swap will do it.

I do have a 3G. I am almost certain it is not that because if it is squealing and I push the brake down (using hydropboost) it stops immediately.

The sound scares people away!