• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone do mustang style efi using all new parts?

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Just as the title says.. I have horrible luck with used parts so... Im curious if anyone has done this using all new ford & aftermarket parts? Did you still have a pita with stuff not working correctly? Im thinkin about going this route and splitting the cost up over the next year so i can have efi on my shiny new 351w next summer. As far as intakes go im pretty set on the trick flow one so lets hear it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While used parts can be good or bad generally the stock parts last a lot longer than the new ones you will get. I guess if you have the $$ then go for all new.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
The big killer for me is all the scrap yards near me pretty much trashed everything made before 2000. Ive priced goin all new and its around 3k... I figured that spread out though the year wouldnt hurt quite so bad...

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you talking about new sensors only? Cause the gt-40 intake, Explorer TB and crown vic MAF are good parts that only require simple cleaning. Buy new sensors and distributor/tfi and computer.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Pretty much everything would be new. I would need an maf to work with 24-30ibs injectors togo with my engine. Is the gt-40 lightning manifold the only one that will work with the 351w bc im not interested in an adaptor to mate the truck lower with the mustang upper. But im talkin fuel rails and everything.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
are new parts available somewhere and wouldn't total price for everything hit close to the current national debt??

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Its not a very nice number thats for sure.. Alot of the parts are meant for high perfomance engines which my setup is fairly warmed up but still has room to grow(no stroker motor yet).. I would really like my list of things to worry about drop to u-joints and regular maintanence. Carbs bug the heck out of me..

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Oh yeah... I forgot abt them... I wonder if they would sell that without the intake manifold? Or a different manifold.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
By the time you replace sensors that aren't working, cobble together a new fuel system, buy a harness that works, and replace other things like serp bearings, about the only used parts left are the upper and lower intakes, maybe throttle body if you are lucky. The low-cost EFI conversion eludes most of us and is a little mythical. Not saying it can't be done, but the reality for most of us is a little different, especially what with junk yards being unavailable for all intents.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I did probably the cheapest damn EFI and motor swap and I've had zero issues. Most of the yards out here still have stuff from the late 70's and on up and I've never gotten anything bad out of the yard. I've pulled radiators, 5+ alternators, astro hydroboost setups etc etc and I have them tested ont he way home, they come with a 30 day warranty...

My take on it is if I've got an older part that has been working or is provem I will run that OVER a new part that is untested and of unknown production quality. OEM stuff is better quality than the junk you can get now (more often than not)

There are still plenty of perfectly fine Mustang harnesses and PCM's out there to be had for cheap - I've bought two harness with an A9P and a A9L both for under $100. You can spend a lot of money for no reason - there are only so many sensors you can replace. Distributors rarely ever fail, MAFs and TB's are in the same boat - you can replace all the small stuff and not break the bank but don't be ignorant and throw money at replacing things that work perfectly fine...

That link someone posted above made me laugh - I got all of that PLUS a running motor for $49!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I frankly hate new electronic parts..and many others too, for that matter. I'll run the proven used stuff and strip out every engine of used sensors etc I can before I buy anything new.

And if I do have to buy new..then its time for the usual "no..we don't sell Blue Streak but we can order it" fun. Anyone who thinks that any of the usual over-the-counter replacement electornic junk is even close to the OEM when it comes to reliability..is on drugs.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
The annoying thing is i had bought a mustang 302 to rebuild for the bronco that had alot of the efi stuff on it. The motor spent to much time outside though and every thing efi related was junk including the fuel rails...

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I think there's a balanced and methodical approach you can take that will be reliable.

Low wear parts or parts with no moving components you can get from Ebay. Get your MAF and computer from a late model (93) Mustang owner on Ebay who upgraded or parted out. It will still be in great shape.

Your ACT, ECT and BP sensors are unlikely to go bad. Get them from a junkyard.

I chose to go with new O2 sensors, distributor/TFI, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, belt, water pump and I think most importantly, a new harness from RJM. I would bet a lot of junkyard builds have quirky little problems because of the junkyard harness.

I left the power steering pump and alternator and they did eventually give out but not immediately.

Just be smart about where you use new or used parts and don't go to the cheap parts stores that sell junk. I got a lot of my new stuff from Summit Racing and I've had no problems.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I shouldnt have anything other than the efi stuff to worry about. I bought a serpentine setup for the motor so every thing but the alternator is new (and the alternator is less than a year old). Transmission has a fresh rebuild and the t-case seems solid. So... This will hopefully be the only major project to worry about for awhile.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did a "best part" conversion several years back. Got a 5.0 for cheap that was the foundation. Also picked up a 5.0 Explorer. Anything that moved (throttle body, TPS, injectors, FPR, pump, etc.) all got replaced and usually upgraded as well. I used a new stock lightening MAF, larger throttle body (later went to the 65mm Explorer for better drivability). ECM was a parts store re-man. All the wear items were fresh, the rest of the hard parts were just good clean stock parts. I have no idea what I spent on it, it was all rolled into building the engine and swapping it into a Ranger. When done it looked like a Ranger with a factory stock 5.0 in it. It was really a mild stroker.

It can be mostly done. Of the few stock parts I used I am sure there over-priced aftermarket items that could have been substutied (Intake, fuel rails, harness) or just generic parts store replacment (ECT, ACT). I am sure I spent less for the OEM EFI then I would have for an aftermarket unit.