• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help- Issue w pulley alignment w new Saginaw power steering pump???

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Another question for those more experiencd than I.....

Installed a new Saginaw power steering pump from Toms which included pump, pulley, bracket, belt and hoses. Im running a 302 w v belt set up. The v belt that came w the kit is much smaller than the belt i had previously, and the pulley does not align w my other existing pulleys (alt,water pump and crank). I went ahead and used my old belt, but the pulley mis-alignment causes it to throw the belt.

The new pulley appears to be too far fwd, bout 1/2 inch or so? Possibly the wrong pulley? Suggestions?

As for the belt, is it standard to have 1 belt running 4 parts? Thanks for the help, still learning....

John

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
How many groves do you have on your crank pully? Was this an original P/S bronco or was it added later?

My crank pully has three groves and I'm running two V belts for WP, Alt and P/S

Tim

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Power steering was added by PO. I just switched out the old leaky round pump, forma new sag. I will check the crank pulley now. The existing set up had one belt for the water pump, alt, crank and ps.

John

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
All 4 parts are running single v belt pulleys, with 1 belt turning all of them.

Any suggestions on the alignment issue?

For those running v belt set up, how many belts and what configuration?

John

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Power steering was added by PO.

I bet that's the issue. A hacked up P/S job like I got on my 74 when the PO added P/S. Mine was so hacked up (how hacked up was it you ask?) so hacked up it had a chevy P/S box that mounted on the wrong side of the frame, extra holes drilled in teh frame to mount it and with three U joints in the steering shaft so it would all line up. Oh and one of the brackets for the PS/ pump was a home fab job. The crank pully isn't the correct one either. I'm still running the wrong crank pully and the DIY bracket but the rest has been fixed.

My guess is the PO used some mismatch parts to "make it work". You said you changed brackets? The old bracket is the problem if I had to guess. The new bracket puts the P/S pump in the correct location and thus will not lineup with the crank pully because the crank pully isn't correct for P/S.

You should be running two belts if you add P/S.

Will the new pump fit in the old bracket that lined up? If so, I would do that to get back on the road and then look for the correct crank pully. I bet the venders have them ready to ship or look for one in the parts for sale here on the board.

Tim

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Thanks Tim. I put in a 3G alt in at the same time, which runs true w the crank and water pump pulley's, it's the damn new ps pulley that is too far fwd.

I will check out the old bracket, but I don't think it will fit the sag pump. If I were to run two belts, what configuration would u suggest?

J

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
I'm an idiot! The old pump and bracket had two spacers on the back side of the bracket, which should bring back the pulley to the position I need. Only difference on the new pump is there are three bolts that mount it to the bracket, plus the adjustment bolt. Unless im missing something, this should correct the problem?

Gonna try and track down the spacers now!!!

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
No luck tracking down the spacers for the ps pump. Maybe NAPA? Let me know if anybody else has had any luck finding these. If not, I've read where a lot of folks have used washers to line up the pump pulley w the others?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yep spacers are the issue. Washers are your next best bet if you cant find the spacer or a thick walled piece of tubing. I've even used a large nut before that was the correct width. but it would be a little better to have a 2grove crank and water pump pulley it would allow for more even tightnening and less belt slip.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I bet that's the issue. A hacked up P/S job like I got on my 74 when the PO added P/S. Mine was so hacked up (how hacked up was it you ask?) so hacked up it had a chevy P/S box that mounted on the wrong side of the frame, extra holes drilled in teh frame to mount it and with three U joints in the steering shaft so it would all line up. Oh and one of the brackets for the PS/ pump was a home fab job. The crank pully isn't the correct one either. I'm still running the wrong crank pully and the DIY bracket but the rest has been fixed.

My guess is the PO used some mismatch parts to "make it work". You said you changed brackets? The old bracket is the problem if I had to guess. The new bracket puts the P/S pump in the correct location and thus will not lineup with the crank pully because the crank pully isn't correct for P/S.

You should be running two belts if you add P/S.

Will the new pump fit in the old bracket that lined up? If so, I would do that to get back on the road and then look for the correct crank pully. I bet the venders have them ready to ship or look for one in the parts for sale here on the board.

Tim

Actually the first stroppe bronco power steering conversions used a ch#vy box mounted to the outside of the frame your PO probably copied that to some extent. but the orginal stroppe conversions had the frame notched so the box lined up slightly better,

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
No luck tracking down the spacers for the ps pump. Maybe NAPA? Let me know if anybody else has had any luck finding these. If not, I've read where a lot of folks have used washers to line up the pump pulley w the others?

The correct bolt/stud I ordered from the one of the venders came with washers rather than the spacer.

Actually the first stroppe bronco power steering conversions used a ch#vy box mounted to the outside of the frame your PO probably copied that to some extent. but the orginal stroppe conversions had the frame notched so the box lined up slightly better,

Really....WOW would never have guessed that.

Tim