• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In A Quandry!!!!

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
Frame is ready for finishing! A bunch of things are going threw my head right now! Do I galvanize? Or Not? How do I coat the inside of the frame the right way? What do I topcoat it with POR15 or regular paint? The internet is a great tool, but it also presents more of a problem in the way of Too Much Information!!! My biggest worry is "bleed threw" from getting moisture inside the frame and having in run threw the holes and staining or looking like crap!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The internet sucks for information! LOL

Id blast it, epoxy prime it (epoxy will etch to the bare metal), the shoot some single stage urethane over it.

There are over 3 threads going right now asking about weather to use POR or not,and about galvanizing!

POR is great if you can only brush. If your set up to spray then dont ever buy POR. Its junk compared to a good 2K paint and primer.

Dont worry about galvinizing unless your rich!

And dont worry about the inside. Have it blasted as best they can, and spray up in there the best you can. Its just a frame....save your money for the rest or youll never be driving it!

I used POR on my frame a year ago. 6 months later i bought a spray gun and a bunch of other painting crap. Id never POR or rattle can ever again. The quality i got from a cheep devilbiss gun was AUSOME! The POR brushed on ok but it would have been twice as nice with some single stage urethane!

OP
OP

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
I realize I might be going a little far but I just dont ever want to mess with this frame again, specially since it's the foundation of the build!!

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Why not invest in a custom dabbed stainless frame and be done with it?

Just kidding. The best thing you can do to maximize the life of yor frame is, parking it on pavement. I cringe whenever I see a car/truck parked on a lawn with weeds growing up around it. That is a sure way of rusting it out. Also, try to keep any drain holes in the frame clear of dirt and debris. My frame has several holes on the bottom side that were plugged with crud when I got it, so I poked some wire around up into each and then put a shop vac to them. Good luck.