• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 trouble starting

Brimstone

Loc.
Virginia Coast
I know there are a lot of threads on starting trouble and I think I have checked most but..

Issue: "out of the Blue" my Bronco decided to stop starting as normal. Based on my work on other vehicles I crossed the wheel well mounted solenod (big posts) and it started right up. So I went and picked up a new one....no luck same issue.

Checked the fuse box and all looks good, checked all the wires and nothing seems out of place.

I installed the Centech wire harness about a year or so ago with no issues.

Ran out of ideas and sort of tired of getting out of truck EVERYTIME to start it up..lol

Thanks for the help.

phldwsnoc1

Loc.
Jarrettsville, MD
Test the control circuit

The fender mount solenoid is just a big relay, with a contol circuit (an electromagnet that closes the switch) and a load circuit (the big switch that powers the starter). When you jump across the big terminals, you are bypassing the switch and powering the statrer directly. The first order of business is to determine if the control circuit is working. If you hear a click when turning the key to the start position, the answer is probably yes. Otherwise, you need to check for power on one of the small wires with the key in the start position. If you have no power there, you need to troubleshoot the harness or ignition switch. Good luck!

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
one way,take a screwdriver,short from pos batt cable on solenoid to S terminal on solenoid.if it turns over,maybe bad ign swiych.turn key to on pos.set emg brake put in park or neutral.should start.