• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield knob help!

Scottylack

hey guys... I bought new windshield knobs that hold the frame in place... but there are no brackets inside to screw them into...

anyone have a good quick fix for this problem...????

65 mustang

sounds like the nut inside is missing. If you flip the windshield down you should be able to see if its there . you'll have to open the channel up with a cut off wheel. repairing the small bracket that holds the nut in place. It will require relding it back together.

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
I just had to have this done on mine. PO must never have removed them so mine broke off. Shop had to cut into the frame, weld in a new bracket/nut, and weld up the outside. I wound up paying more for the fix than a new winshield frame would have been... I'm just hoping the older version frames are heavier duty (at least that is what I am telling myslef so I don't get pissed about it).

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
You could just use a large U-nut like used on the fenders maybe. Thats what my viewfinder came with. I chose to use washers and nylocks on mine.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
It's a pretty tedious job, but can be done. It will take intermediate welding cutting skills. Like my cat, my nuts were gone too, so this is a fix that will have to be dealt with on my frame as well. I am planning on welding a nut to a small piece of 18 ga. with the hole already drilled out, then taking that piece and mounting it to the frame, nut goes on the inside. I think the size of the nut should be 3/8'' 16 thread (?). don't quote me on that. Also will need a smaller cut off wheel to make the cuts.

KBUCK1

It's a pretty tedious job, but can be done. It will take intermediate welding cutting skills. Like my cat, my nuts were gone too, so this is a fix that will have to be dealt with on my frame as well. I am planning on welding a nut to a small piece of 18 ga. with the hole already drilled out, then taking that piece and mounting it to the frame, nut goes on the inside. I think the size of the nut should be 3/8'' 16 thread (?). don't quote me on that. Also will need a smaller cut off wheel to make the cuts.
I plan on going this route but do no cutting drill the hole in the frame a little larger, find a washer that size and welfare a nut to the bottom of it and weld the washer in flush. Grind down the welds and be good as new

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
for a no weld option.
this is the approach I would take.
take a 1 inch wide x 1/4 thick by 2 Inch long steel strap drill and tap 3/16-16
drill 2 pop rivit holes in the ends.
hold this plate up to the frame where you want the bolt hole to be and drill the pop rivit holes into the window frame.
tie a piece of wire to the strap through the bolt hole and slide into the frame even if you have to open up the origional bolt hole to slip it inside. pull the wire back to center it in place once you get it in place pop rivit it to the frame so it stays in place. now you can fold up your windshield and bolt it in place.

Knifemaker

Loc.
Youngsville, La.
Another way of doing it unless you are a big fan of running with windshield down is to drill a hole 3/4" to 1" dia. on the front side install a backup plate and nut and install plastic plug with a little sealant on outside.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I plan on going this route but do no cutting drill the hole in the frame a little larger, find a washer that size and welfare a nut to the bottom of it and weld the washer in flush. Grind down the welds and be good as new

You just changed my MO. Thanks!:D