• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Header clearance

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I am having an issue with the pasenger side header hitting up againt the fender well on the passenger side. There is absolutley zero space between the header and the fender well. Anyone else have that issue and what did you do?

mattt

Bronco Guru
What headers do you have....probably long tubes, right? I had Thorley long tubes during my assembly process and had the same problem. The only way I could get the passenger side in was to unbolt the engine, lift it & push it as far to the drivers side as possible. Long tubes just dont fit very well with long tubes.

My solution....drop the Thorley long tubes and buy a set of BC headers. Easy install and fit....my only gripe is I wish they were a bit longer....like mid length headers. I'd imagine BC made them as long as possible while still being able to get them in without having to re-engineer everything around.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Nope, I'm running Bronco shorties. I think I got them from WH, can't remember. Not sure if the trick flow heads are making the engine wider. The driver side was fine but the passenger side is extremely tight. Nothing a cut off blade can't fix.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Considering there are probably 20+ designs of headers from various manufacturers over the years, your mystery brand headers appear to be a set probably only designed for a 302 and not a 351. Time to shop for a set of headers that will fit a 351 in a Bronco chassis. And there are still plenty of versions that meet that criteria.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Considering there are probably 20+ designs of headers from various manufacturers over the years, your mystery brand headers appear to be a set probably only designed for a 302 and not a 351. Time to shop for a set of headers that will fit a 351 in a Bronco chassis. And there are still plenty of versions that meet that criteria.

Where might one find these headers with O2 bungs?

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have WH shortys. The included paperwork said I would have to either cut or bend the inner fender for clearance. I cut about 4 inches from the bottom of the inner fender up. Later I plan on adding a perforated metral replacement.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Where might one find these headers with O2 bungs?

Drill and a welder, put the bungs in myself. Doen't mater who's header they are. Get them coated after welding, if you get them coated. I pick up M18x1.5 half nuts from my local nut and bolt supplier for my bungs. Last batch a few years ago was under $2 each.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I have WH shortys. The included paperwork said I would have to either cut or bend the inner fender for clearance. I cut about 4 inches from the bottom of the inner fender up. Later I plan on adding a perforated metral replacement.

I think I'm going that route. I have too much money into the engine as it is to go out and buy another set of ceramic coated headers. Especially not knowing if they'll fit or not.

Amac70

ME
this is why my inner fenders are cut out. headers wouldnt clear. its a shame all these hallowed vendors can't produce a decent product that fits. Its not like its a new swap or something. There is only one vedor with a product that supposedly fits but since he never has products and products are different batch to batch its very hard to order from them. And most people i know wouldn't give him a dime anyway. Sorry for ranting up your post, but like said earlier cut the inner fenders out.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
this is why my inner fenders are cut out. headers wouldnt clear. its a shame all these hallowed vendors can't produce a decent product that fits. Its not like its a new swap or something. There is only one vedor with a product that supposedly fits but since he never has products and products are different batch to batch its very hard to order from them. And most people i know wouldn't give him a dime anyway. Sorry for ranting up your post, but like said earlier cut the inner fenders out.

The doctor did a little surgery this morning and now everything bolts up nicely. I like my header bolts to hand tighten all the way in before I wrench them and that is what I ended up with.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I guess i was lucky.. I have the WH long tubes and they fit pretty darn good.. All i had to do bend a small tab on the fire wall and i was good to go... The 351 sure does look pretty in the engine bay ;)