• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any way to brace the windshield without bars?

ericbee

I ended up welding some bars together to brace my windshield to prevent it from flexing. I am wondering..

A. Is it really necessary? What would happen without it?
B. Is there a way to do it without the crossbars, so I dont hit my head every time I enter/exit the truck?

THX

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Not necessary as long as your windsheild/cowl area are rust free.

Its a good idea though, especially if you're hitting bumps or doing any driving that fatigues that area.

A full cage and a couple of turnbuckles is the best way to accomplish this. Added safety for you and the windshield frame.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
agreed. Not completely necessary. Usually.
I'd say the most important reason to have them though, would be for a soft top or bikini top. With the top pulling back hard on the frame, the clearance between the frame and the doors goes away. Also likely to be easier to keep tension on the tops with a set of braces.
If you don't use doors, and don't use soft tops, and don't have a cage bar that's so close it actually hits when you're wheeling or driving on rough roads, or just aren't bothered by the visible movement, then don't bother.

Paul

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
No there isnt thats why i havent got around to bracing mine yet! The hard top is the only way to tie it in without a cage.

If you have the front cage bar then the tie ins can be short, if you only have the hoop behind the drivers seat then the tieins have to be that long. Without the tieins the frame gets pushed back. I just have the dash knobs holding my frame in place now and its ok but slaps the door frames a bit over bumps. By folding the frame down and sliding in a new seal or some other rubber strip you can force the frame forward if it sits too far back without the tieins. Thats what i did but slowly the frame came back to rest on the window frames again.

I have a viewfinder frame so i need to get a cage soon and tie mine into the it before i destroy a thousand dollar frame!

OP
OP
E

ericbee

It seems that the issue is the windshield slapping against the door frame and potentially causing damage to either piece, the paint and the sound of banging metal over bumps.

Couldnt a solution be made with some sort of rubber or nylon "grommet" that is placed between the frame of the door and the windshield that would eliminate the potential of the windshield hitting the door frame, eliminate noise and keep the paint from chipping?

Or perhaps some sort of metal shim that could be used to space the windshield further enough from the door frame to keep it from shifting back?

All I have and want is the cage behind the driver with very long tie ins. I did make mine square tube and follow the lines of the window which looks really trick but, I would love to eliminate them all together.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I am currently putting together a couple of quick release ball stud ends that I am running to the cage. I will drill the anchor point on the cage and put in a 3/8 nutsert from Ace Hardware, then either a piece of 3/8 all thread (or long 3/8 bolt with the head cut off and then tapped so both ends have threads). This will allow it to be removed very quickly.. cost: about $13.00 for a package of Stearns Marine Hardware quick releases, Two Nutserts around $2.00 and a piece of all thread. I will install it and post a pic as soon this heat wave is over.... :)

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
If i ever run without doors i'll build a support that bolts into the door post hinge mounts, and runs up the back of the windshield.
Probably a 1"x2" rectangle tubing.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've been wheeling my Bronco for years without a top on it and to keep the top from rattling against the doors and generally moving around I've got a ratchet strap to my roll bar. It's low tech, but has been working great. I plan to get a roll cage in and brace it to that soon enough.

zoob

Loc.
Long Island, NY
aru9a8ah.jpg

Rollbar extension bars work great!