• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical

Brittain

Loc.
Wichita
Well I thought I figured out the electrical issue of why my gas, oil, and temp gauge dont work but I was wrong. What is the best fix to get these working correctly again? Fuse does not seem to be broke this go around, cleaned up what I thought was some ground issues it worked and now it doesnt work again. This cannot be that hard.

70_Steve

Old Guy
The fuel level, oil pressure and water temp gauges are all powered by a Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) located on the backside of the gauge cluster. Needs 12 volts and a ground (Hint- don't remove the gauge cluster and expect it to work. Needs the dash as the ground), and the output is a pulsed voltage.'

I'd start there!

OP
OP
B

Brittain

Loc.
Wichita
How hard is this to replace and before I spend the money is this the basic concensus on the issue?

70_Steve

Old Guy
How hard is this to replace and before I spend the money is this the basic concensus on the issue?
If your body is somewhat flexible, you can get to it in place. I've done it. Otherwise, you need to remove the gauge cluster.

A couple quick checks with a voltmeter will be better than a bunch of opinions...

Here's some pics of the IVR on the back of the cluster.

speedoreset26.jpg

speedoreset28.jpg

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
(Hint- don't remove the gauge cluster and expect it to work. Needs the dash as the ground

I learned this the hard way. Spent hours and hours working on the guage and wiring before I figured out it used the dash as a ground.

Tim