• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

So i put the c4 kick down bolt in upside down...

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Alright guys i was finishing up the drive train on the bronco and realized when i went to put on my kick down arm that the keyed bolt is upside down... My question is can i take that bolt out and put it back in correctly without dropping the transmission...

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Do you mean the shifter arm? The kickdown only goes in the trans one way and you bolt the lever on from the outside. You can flip the lever upside down from the outside.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Alright guys i was finishing up the drive train on the bronco and realized when i went to put on my kick down arm that the keyed bolt is upside down... My question is can i take that bolt out and put it back in correctly without dropping the transmission...

You mean it isn't in contact with the valve? Drop the valve body and flip the lever up. Might need 3 hands to get that, the manual lever and valve body all back in place.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Awesome thanks viper. To be honest i was really at a loss of what i did wrong there... Ill take care of that this weekend and hopefully go for a test drive.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Oh i guess it would help to say that the kick down wasnt returning when you put pressure on the arm. It would just stay when you let off. Does that make sense?

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Mines a holley 600. The issues isnt there though i just slipped up reassembling the transmission when i put new clutches.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
So the kick down does not snap back? I did that too! About 4 times!

I made two long studs from some HomeDepot threaded rod and put them in the trans gently. Then when I had the valves in the right place (both shifter and kick down) I could raise it into position and the stud keep it perfectly parallel and guide it into place so it does not move left to right / front to back. Then you can hold it in place with one hand and work the levers with the others to be sure you got it right. Count the clicks for the manual lever to be sure you have that indexed properly - I put that in wrong and could not get back into park.