Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Garage

76' Blue Oval

Garage
Vehicle Name 76' Blue Oval
Year 1976
Make Ford
Model Bronco
Color Bright Dark Blue Metallic
Style (U13, U14, U15) U15 Wagon
1976 Ford Bronco
1976 Ford Bronco 1976 Ford Bronco 1976 Ford Bronco
Brief Description (optional) In high school (82') I had a 1973 until 94' when babies came along and life happened, was sad to see it go.
First off I have to thank my wife for allowing me the opportunity to get another Bronco. The story: See we built a house in 2005. Months went by after we moved in and one day I go by the bank for some money and I notice on the receipt that we have quit a bit of extra money in the checking account. I questioned her about it and she said I Love You go get another Bronco. WOW! How grand is that, anywho here we are.
We bought this 76' in 2006 and have been building on it ever since, hopfully I will drive it soon. It has some goodies and everything good or bad is my doing. Some help with the body and paint from uncle Jim and Ray friend. When purchased it was a rust bucket and I had to toss the top, replace the floor from the firewall to the bed panel. I reinforced the seat bolting areas and built all the floor pans from 16 ga sheet metal. I added a storage area under the passengers side seat and the floor is the same hieght as the drivers side floor area under the seat. The rockers and lower half of the front door hinge post on both sides were replaced or rebuilt. The top of the cowl was cut open and repaired with all new metal along the lower windshield frame. The rear fenders were uncut and my wife threatened to shoot me if I cut it she lied. So I cut both ends and the mods began. I added rocksliders from WCB and bolted/welded them to the new rocker panels. I then tied the front and rear of the rocksliders into the body by welding in end caps to enclose and seal them. I cut 4"s off the rear of the front fender and bolted it to the rocksliders. The front of the rear quarters are welded to the rocksliders just behind the rear of the door. I purchased fiberglass flares so I could mod as needed. I first cut them in half and added 2.5"s in the middle. Then raised them up to the body seam for max opening and tire clearance. Next I added 1" to the outter lip (were most flares split) and made them approximately 0.187" thicker and enclosed and sealed the underside for a cleaner look. They are bolted on with button head SS screws and welting.
The rear quarters were trimmed 2"s at the rear bumper area for better clearance and they still look stock just shorter. This allowed for the custom rear plate bumper to be raised as high as possible and to close the gap from the 2" body lift.
Engine & Drivetrain
1976 Ford Bronco Engine & Drivetrain 1976 Ford Bronco Engine & Drivetrain 1976 Ford Bronco Engine & Drivetrain
The engine is a 306 .030", edelbrock cam/intake, duraspark II ignition, double roller timing chain, stock manifolds, and 304/316 stainless steel exhaust from the hand made donut clamps to the tailpipe, 316 SS muffler included. I added Howell fuel injection and built the fuel tank 26 gallons with a GM fuel pump in the tank and access hole in the bed. Fuel lines are 316 stainless steel tubing and stainless hose with AN fitting. The motor mounts are poly bushing I added to the top of the stock motor horns. I raised the radiator to align the motor and shroud after adding the 2" body lift.
The drivetrain is a NP435/NP203/D20/44/9". The NP435 has a dodge mainshaft and all bearings were replaced at this time. The NP203 is from a 74' dodge Ramcharger with the WH4x4 kit for the adapters to the NP435 and the D20. The D20 was rebuilt and I replaced the output shaft with the HD output from WH4x4 and added a 1350 yoke for the rear driveshaft. The front yoke is a stock 1310. The 9" is a truck housing that I narrowed, back braced and trussed. I also added anti-wrap mounts to the top and front of the housing. The brakes are stock bronco disk/drums with park brake. I have manual needle valves on the dash to line lock both the front and rear brakes independently form each other. The axles are Currie 35 spline with set 20 bearings and I milled retainers for the axles. The third member is a Mark Williams Enterprises 3.25" housing and large bearing pinion support with a solid spacer. The yoke is a billet 1350 from MWE with a pinion guard I built. The housing pinion support area is designed with 7/16" studs that replace the 3/8" cap screws of a stock 9". The 3rd pinion bearing pocket area is completely enclosed and the bearing is held in with a snap ring insted of the star clip. I installed a Detriot locker in the front and rear for simple no looking back approach. Gearing is 4.56:1 ratio with 35" tires.
The front is a D44 with Chrome moly USA made Yukon axles and full circle clip on the Spicer 760 U-joints. Hope they last, we will see. The front cover was reinforced along the lower half lip .250" material was added and I added a .250" patch on the front vertical dome for protection of the ring gear. The front brakes are 76' disk with T-bird calipers and all brake hoses are stainless braided.

Suspension
1976 Ford Bronco Suspension 1976 Ford Bronco Suspension 1976 Ford Bronco Suspension
The lift is 3.5" stage 8 from Tom's. I replace the shocks with rsx9000 rancho for adjustability. The front track bar top mount was reinforced and I built a riser for the axle end. I replaced the stock steering linkage 76' with the Tom's T-style setup and went TRO. The pitman arm is a drop style to keep the drag link and track bar parallel. I had the steering box rebuilt at West Texas Offroad where they also ported the box for ram assist. The power steering pump is from a stock 79' F-150 that I resealed. The frame at the power steering box was reinforced to stop frame flex damage.
I built the extended radius arms 10.5" longer than stock, rolled the inner C's and used 2* bushings. The caster is currently 6.5* and it drives like a dream. The rear is leaf sprung and I built the 0.625" spring retainer pad with 0.625" u-bolts.
I currently have all urethane bushing and that may change some to get more flex.

Wheels & Tires
1976 Ford Bronco Wheels & Tires 1976 Ford Bronco Wheels & Tires 1976 Ford Bronco Wheels & Tires
Tires and wheels are BFG KM2s 35" 12.5" 15" on White Spoke wheels 15" x 8" with 3.25" backspacing.
I also have a set of Centerline Thruster wheels 16" x 8" with Goodyear Wrangler 265 75 R16 tires. They will be my every day cruiser setup.

Exterior
1976 Ford Bronco Exterior 1976 Ford Bronco Exterior 1976 Ford Bronco Exterior
I built the front (winch) and rear plate bumpers and tire/hi-lift jack carrier. The roll cage took some time but turned out fine. Fitting everything up before paint.

Interior
1976 Ford Bronco Interior 1976 Ford Bronco Interior 1976 Ford Bronco Interior
The floor hump was cut out to make room for the twin sticks, NP 435 Gear Banger Trail Edition shifter, and the NP 203 Doubler shifter and a new set of covers were made.
The glove box was moved 3"s to the left and the dash corners were cut down by 2.5"s. This allowed the front down tubes of the cage to be as close to the dash and windshield frame as possible. Which added more leg room and now the down tube is much straighter for more vertical strength.
The ash tray, speaker grill, and light bars were removed for a cleaner look. I added the check engine light and power point to the dash just to the right of the ignition switch.
The instrument cluster was sent to Utah to be refurbished by fallingdown a member and vender on this site. He did a fantastic job Thanks Kevin.
The steering column was rebuilt and all the shift rod holes were filled in and sealed. A custom aluminum lower bearing and seal housing was built by a friend at work to replace the old ford plastic bearing cover. I installed a steering wheel from an 84' F-150. The outter diameter was about 0.200" larger than the standard shift collar so I milled out a cover ring for the back of the steering wheel for a cleaner look.
I built the column cover at the dash from aluminum and added an aluminum bracket for the line lock brake valves just below the column cover.
I welded a 2" X 2" piece of square tubing into the bed floor to tie the main hoop of my custom 8 point roll cage to the frame. The rear corners of the bed are tied to the frame with a brace that also supports the rear hoop of the cage. All the grab handles for the cage are 316 stainless steel.
The seats are Hunsaker Motor Sports suspension seats with Schroth 4 point harnesses from HMS Motor Sport.

Other Notes
1976 Ford Bronco Other Notes 1976 Ford Bronco Other Notes 1976 Ford Bronco Other Notes
Playing on the rocks at Clayton, OK.
Views: 2327