• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Aluminum Radiator ? - Ron Davis or Griffin?

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting ready to buy a radiator for my project. I need the EFI inlet and outlet configuration (serp) along with tranny cooler. I know this has been discussed many times in the past but it seems that as people get more experience (spelled "problems") opinions change. So... Which one would you recommend to buy or not buy? Thanks, Dave...%)

Last edited:

broncobandit

I have the alum. Griffin from Toms and I love it so far, my engine stays cool in exstreme conditions. My engine isnt stock.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the alum. Griffin from Toms and I love it so far, my engine stays cool in exstreme conditions. My engine isnt stock.

Couldn't find it listed at Tom's. Do you know of any other sources? How do you think it would compare with the Ron Davis from WH?

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Aluminum Radiators have their up sides, but I've heard enough complaints about their longevity that I probably wouldn't run one on a daily driven vehicle unless it was an OEM radiator.

I'm cheap, so I'm always looking for the best bang for my buck. My first choice would be to see if its possible to re-use a stock radiator from an EFI donor vehicle. A good rad. shop can narrow the core for you for not very much money, or you could make adapter mounts yourself at home much other than imagination, time, and a moderate amount of mechanical ability.

broncobandit

Go to Toms and type in radiator at the search and you'll see them.They are pricey but to me it was worth it.

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
I have a WildHorses and have had great luck. Make sure you get their Cap and use the right fittings, and antifreeze. Lessons I learned from the racecar.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go to Toms and type in radiator at the search and you'll see them.They are pricey but to me it was worth it.

Thanks! I was going through the menu picks for EB -> Engine -> cooling ...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The biggest problem I have seen with aluminium is fatigue failure. Bronco core supports are not very ridgid, they rack while driving and wheeling. Install an aluminium radiator, often in super hard eurathane bushings and the radiator is suddenly trying to act as a structural member of the body. This racks it back and forth. Aluminium isn't a good material for fatigue, so it cracks at the flex point. Where the tubes meet the tanks. Once aluminium gets a corrosion skin on it or any other contamination it is nearly impossible to weld.

But open the hood of any modern car or truck. Check out the radiator mounting. Sloppy rubber. Most of them will move an inch in almost any direction. No body stresses put into the core. Modern radiators also tend to last as long as the car. Amazing that proper engineering can suddenly change a part from a consumable to lifetime with little more then making the mount go from solid to sloppy.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm down to either a Ron Davis from WH or a Griffin from Tom's. Any suggestions?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've had both good and bad luck with RD. The bad was that it started leaking after 5 months of use. The good is that RD replaced it even though it was out of warranty for 21 months.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting ready to buy a radiator for my project. I need the EFI inlet and outlet configuration (serp) along with tranny cooler. I know this has been discussed many times in the past but it seems that as people get more experience (spelled "problems") opinions change. So... Which one would you recommend to buy or not buy? Thanks, Dave...%)

Hey Dave,
I will cast a vote for the Ron Davis al. rad. I have run one in my white trail rig since it was built in '02/03-I did hurt it in '06 and it started leaking from the top row when I hit a rock hard enough to break one headlight and tweak the fender out...... It was fixed(by RD) and I have been running it ever since. I also have a RD in my truggy hell mobile and one going in another project yet to see the light of day.........
You will hear negatives from people who have had problems. I fortuntately have not had any negatives with the rad. or customer service in my 7 years dealing with RD.
HTH

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to order the RD from WH.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Rd

Let me save you some $$

Do you ever go really slow in hot weather?

PM me and I'll forward you lot's of info on alum. vrs copper vrs road driving vrs slow rock crawling

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I ran a Griffin in my V8 bronco II. Never had a problem with it and I wasn't very nice to it. Would buy again.

For my EB, I run a generic Tru-kool aluminum radiator from speedway motors. Discovered this little gem myself. I've recommended them to a few friends and everyone has been very happy. Best of all is the price!

For mounts, as mentioned above, rigid mounts are bad. A couple straps under the tanks and some straps on the sides and top to stop it from shifting. That's all you need.

Tru-Kool Radiator $129.99
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/FORDandMOPAR-TRU-KOOL-RADIATOR,7347.html