• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yukon Grizzly Locker!

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Ok im going to buy the 31 spline Grizzly locker tomorrow. I was on Yukon's website and they have two different kinds of 31 spline lockers. They have part numbers YGLF9-31-LB(fits load bolt housing) and YGLF9-31. Which one do i need? I have been getting quote from vendors on pirate 4x4 on the YGLF9-31, but i want to make sure i get the right one. For those that have bought the grizzly locker, which one did you order? Is there a difference between the two? I tried searching but no one mentioned the part number.

Thanks
Kev

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I were you I would wait until tomorrow and call Yukon.

By the way you're going to love the Grizzly.;D

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
If I were you I would wait until tomorrow and call Yukon.

By the way you're going to love the Grizzly.;D

That's what i heard that people really like the grizzly locker. Im gonna call before for sure, but i looked at bronco graveyard and the have the one with out the LB, so I'm not sure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
i have the one from the graveyard....ive been beating the piss out of mine for 2yrs now with no probs....ive only had the locker clunk twice in those two yrs....had it all the time with my detroit.........i went with the grizzly for the simple fact that a US patent is only good for 17yrs and that time starts from the time you file not the time that it is approved....so the patent on the detroit is up and yukon pretty much just used there design and used chrome moly parts inside of it plus its a lil cheaper......

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I believe load bolt housings have bolts through the center section to hold ther main bearing cap on instead of just using bolts threaded into the center section. Not sure why the diff would have to be an different tho. But it appears that the load bolt one is 3lbs heavier than the standard one.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
For the price of the Grizzly, you could get a Detroit and a Nodular case. Lot's of guys on here have broken those stock cases after putting in lockers. Just something to think about.

http://www.rearsgears.com/traction-devices/lockers/det187s-188a/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-n2206/overview/

Whoa. Why is that Detroit locker so cheap? The best price i found for the detroit was $490? Also i have the large bearing so i dont know if that makes a difference in strength.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
when something is to good to be true its to good to be true....lol....would be cool if you could get it for that price but i highly doubt that is the one you need

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
That's the one I bought, I had the same question, "Why is it so much cheaper than the 3.062 bearing size"? The guy at Randy's R&P told me that it's just a non seller because most people that use the 3.250 Nodular cases, either are using 35 or 40 spline. I figure they're just clearing them out.

With this size Detroit you will need a new Nodular case that uses the 3.250 carrier bearings. Not to be confused with your big bearing housing.

I also bought a Daytona pinion support and found a Ratech install kit that has the 3.250 carrier bearings, solid pinion spacer and Daytona sized pinion bearings. The install kit was about $115 at Summit.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
when something is to good to be true its to good to be true....lol....would be cool if you could get it for that price but i highly doubt that is the one you need

Not true. You just need to buy the bigger carrier bearing sized case to go with it.

Mark

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
lol almost to good to be true. only good part is you get upgraded parts for a little more money vs just a diff for slightly less.

fordtrucksrule

I for one am not very big on the grizzly locker. i currently have a 35 spline in my bronco and it pops way more than my detroit ever did.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's odd, mine is just the opposite. I hardly notice mine is there unlike every Detroit I've ever run.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
i have the one from the graveyard....ive been beating the piss out of mine for 2yrs now with no probs....ive only had the locker clunk twice in those two yrs....had it all the time with my detroit.........i went with the grizzly for the simple fact that a US patent is only good for 17yrs and that time starts from the time you file not the time that it is approved....so the patent on the detroit is up and yukon pretty much just used there design and used chrome moly parts inside of it plus its a lil cheaper......

Good to know Steve... ;)

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
SSDD, any more info or thoughts on the Grizzly? Been doing some reading and research and not a ton of info and opinions that I can find on the grizzly. Pricing is pretty good, some other reviews online seem favorable.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
SSDD, any more info or thoughts on the Grizzly? Been doing some reading and research and not a ton of info and opinions that I can find on the grizzly. Pricing is pretty good, some other reviews online seem favorable.

I like them so far. They make chirping noises but only when you step on the gas at a turn. The reason i went with the grizzly over the detroit was because the internal parts in the grizzly are exactly like the detroit except the grizzly is made with chromoly internals. Also if the grizzly locker for some reason breaks it's supposed to not break anything else, which i guess happens with the detroits. Grizzly even has a $2000 lifetime guarantee if any other parts of the axle breaks due to the locker breaking they will replace it. So I'm happy with my decision.

Sun_and_Steel77

Loc.
Northern BC, Canada
I've had one installed since last fall. I have yet to put it through it's paces but from what I see so far it has slightly better road manners {less clunks, bangs and skips} than the detroits I ran in the past.
That being said, I have beat the proverbial pi$$ out of my detroits and they never let me down, time will tell if the grizzly will earn its keep.
I have no illusions that the grizzly is made in the USA like the Detroit though.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
How are the road manners overall? Do you have to drive it differently or it'll make noise all the time? Are the noises the "wow I think I just exploded my diff" sounds, or just minor clunking?

Moto - how did your install go? JBG has a complete 3rd member with the grizzly for $900. Was considering that for ease of install. I'm no expert in this regard.

Brocnonut - any experience with that vendor? That's almost $200 cheaper on the Detroit than all the cb.com vendors.

I honestly won't be running mine very hard. Uncut, 2.5" lift, 30 or 31" tires. I've got the rear end torn apart in the middle of installing the suspension lift, the axles need new bearings and I'm considering upgrading to 31 spline and a locker at this time. Already have the stock 4.11 gearing. This will mainly be a street driven weekend warrior with a few off-roading trips per year, but no serious wheeling. Or at least no wheeling with a high chance of body damage :)