• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Protofab Bumper- Body Lift Spacer Help

dukeflr

Loc.
Yuma
So I started my bumper project this weekend and right off the bat I'm a little confused. Both bumpers were built for a 2" body lift. The spacers were shipped with the foot facing away from the bronco just like the first picture. A couple months ago, Mike told me over the phone that a second hole in the spacer lines up with a hole in the frame. My frame doesn't have a hole close to the second spacer hole. The second picture makes more sense, but the hole in the spacer is directly beneath the grill making it very difficult to drill a new hole. ProtoFab is closed until Monday and I really wanted progress before then. Has anyone ran into this problem and how did you solve it? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 157

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I havent installed one with the 2" lift before but you should have two elongated holes in the frame like the ones in the pic attached. Looks like the bracket would be bolted on first through this hole like in your second pic. If you don't have these holes maybe tack weld the bracket? It should be held on with the other through bolt just fine. Wish I was more help. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 79

Galt72

Contributor
I'm willing to bet he was talking about the rear bumper. I have those same spacers for my rear bumper. There are two holes in the rear that line up exactly. Oh, and they go in like your second photo, at least on a rear bumper. Any chance he sent you the wrong spacers? I didn't get a front bumper from them so just guessing here.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Its definitely the front. You can see the radiator and steering box in the pic.

Galt72

Contributor
Its definitely the front. You can see the radiator and steering box in the pic.

ya, I took a look and my spacers like his and they would not reach the second elongated bolt holes up front. They are to short. Really wondering if he didn't get the back spacers instead of the front, "if there is a difference"

OP
OP
dukeflr

dukeflr

Loc.
Yuma
Those pics are the front bumper. I do have that second elongated hole but it is about 1.75" further back than the second spacer hole. It actually starts where the spacer plate ends, so I can't weld and redrill. Maybe they are the wrong spacers. Just felt like I was missing something obvious. If I get impatient enough I could always cut up some square tube and make some from scratch but that is time consuming. I work in 4low.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ya, I took a look and my spacers like his and they would not reach the second elongated bolt holes up front. They are to short. Really wondering if he didn't get the back spacers instead of the front, "if there is a difference"

You may be right. The holes in the frame for the front are about 3" ish apart, in the back 2" ish. Probably got spacer intended for the rear.

suckerpunched

do you have pictures of the bumper itself? just got a pair of PF bumpers a couple months ago for a 2" body lift and it looks to me like you are trying to put a rear bumper on the front of the truck. notches in the upper plate portion of the bumper fit around the quarter panel below tail light. brackets go on like you show in pic 2 but on the rear of the truck. front mounts completely different with a channel that slips inside the frame.

OP
OP
dukeflr

dukeflr

Loc.
Yuma
You may be right. The holes in the frame for the front are about 3" ish apart, in the back 2" ish. Probably got spacer intended for the rear.

Galt72 and Ol'Blue, you guys are likely correct. I'm guessing my bumper was prepped and shipped on a Monday. It sure looks like rear spacers were bolted onto the front bumper and shipped.

suckerpunched, I'm about 58% sure I'm not putting a rear bumper on the front. Bull/push bar, winch hole, no hitch and no tire carrier. Anything is possible though. This bumper is likely different than yours and has a slightly different mounting style. I'm holding off on pictures until it's all mounted up with winch and lights. My old PF tube bumper had channel that slid inside the frame. I actually liked that mounting method.

Thank you guys.

Galt72

Contributor
I like the look of the bumpers but I'm no fan of how at least the rear mounts. Mine has a spot for tow hitch but no way I'd ever tow anything with it. I'm have some serious fab work ahead to make it solid/safe enough to tow with.

suckerpunched

yeah I have to admit winch and brush guard on the back doesnt sound quite right either. here are a few pics of mine. rear bumper and mount style like you show. and one of the front mount that slips inside the frame.

Attachments

• 20170318_121156.jpg
    20170318_121156.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170318_121232.jpg
    20170318_121232.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20170318_121214.jpg
    20170318_121214.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
dukeflr

dukeflr

Loc.
Yuma
Looks like my front bumper was shipped with rear spacers. That or some broncos have the second frame holes spaced closer to the front holes. I ended up making new spacers today. They ended up having a little more real estate and the bumper feels rock solid now. Thanks you guys for helping me out.

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 66

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
dukeflr,
I went through the same thing. Bought both front and rear bumpers, rear one fit but had the same issue with the front. I called PF and they said because I had the non-winch bumper it wasn't an issue (it looks like you have the winch bumper) but I did have the shackle tab option.
I ended up doing the same thing and fabricated my own front spacers.