• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gave up & took the bronco to town.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
SO MY DIESEL BRONCO hasn't ran in almost a year.
But I've had lots of issue to keep me from being able to get it running .
But It's also made me think I wasn't much of a Mechanic ..
But I found a new kid with a shop he works on his Rat Rod in at night .
& He works for AMMCO during the day . & He's supposed to be a good electrical harness man also .
... SO I loaded it on my flat bed & took it into town ..
We got it unloaded & I had other places to be . He was going to work on a couple of other things .. But after I might have been gone for 2 hours I got a text with a picture of the sock on the inlet . It was nasty.
... I'll talk to him tomorrow & See if he cranked it or just found the dirty filter.
..... More to come with maybe a picture or 2.
..... I'm stoked ... I want my Bronco running again.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Know how you feel, in the middle of a move and house sale, never have the time. And I just retired./

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
No shame getting a different set of eyes on something that's not behaving well. That's one reason my bronco is in the shop. Kept burning up electrical parts. Now that THAT is fixed, decided to upgrade power plant, which I had neither the skills nor time to manage. <sigh>. It'll be home so on enough.
Best of luck and hope t hear an audio clip of the diesel when you get it back home.
Randy

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
SO MY DIESEL BRONCO hasn't ran in almost a year...
..... I'm stoked ... I want my Bronco running again.

I'll go out on a limb here Pa and say we're ALL STOKED for you and "THE KID" to get your Bronco running again. It's been too long, need to get back in the saddle again Brother! :cool:

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
BronCowie ... It's been way to long . TACO HAS EVEN FORGOTTEN WHAT IT'S LIKE TO RIDE OUT ON HIS TACO TRAY.
I could tell for a long while that he --TACO--- Didn't like the other trucks we've been making the drag in .

..... Making the Drag... Now that a term from the 50's when all us kids had some kind of cool ride. I was one of those lucky kids . Myself & several kid friends could find any old turd & Have it rolling in 3 days.
SO I had 55...56...57... chevys... 61chevy.. 66 chevy nova 350HP 327cid.4. speed & 4:10's... & at another time I had 3:08's in it. Hwy partol told me I was running 157....
.. But we ''our town'' HAD A Dairy Queen on both ends of town .. So we cruised aka made the Drag, from one end of the town to the other .
& There we're a few side trips..
.... But Taco like to make the drag... I live in the country & The road in front of my place is now paved . & It's about 2.5 miles long . SO Taco & I CRUISE up to the Hwy way ..FM2303.& TURN AROUND & CRUISE BACK DOWN PAST MY HOUSE & oN DOWN TO THE Grave Yard on the east end of our road . & Back again . TACO gets to see Coons .. SKUNKS .. RABBITS .. Foxes & COYOTES ...COWS & HORSES OUT . lots of deer ..18 just a couple of nights ago . Wild pigs .. & TODAY I saw what looked to be a DINGO...
Now that's a 1st . This one was so wild ..It was crazy..
.... SO GUYS making the drag. Is a Classic .. Now TACO needs his Bronco back in operation .. & About 50% of the time we detour
We have a blast. driving through the pasture on my farm . I've 140ac & I have the next farm west leased 120... & My Kid east of us has 52ac. SO we've got a nice pasture drive if you don't mind opening gates.
........Bronco drag making machine .

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
"Making the drag" sounds like "cruising the boulevard" around here. Colorado blvd for those of us near Pasadena. Whittier blvd for the LA area guys.

Colorado blvd was a Thursday night thing. I think Whittier was Friday & Saturday nights.

Then there was the big cruise on new years eve. Colorado blvd down the path of the Rose Parade. Guys would work for months to get their cars ready. Lots of great cars on the street & a ton of people camped out over night. It was a blast for car guys, until the Doo Dah Parade came to be.

The Doo Dah Parade sort of a parody parade that runs at a different time of year with all sorts of crazy marchers. I don't seen the synchronized brief case drill team on the list anymore, but here are some of the "entries":
The Pasadena Doo Dah Parade today features absurd and unique participants such as the BBQ & Hibachi Marching Grill Team, the Shopping Cart Drill Team, the Bastard Sons of Lee Marvin, the Men of Leisure Synchronized Nap Team, The Marching Lumberjacks, The Army of Toy Soldiers,[3] Claude Rains & the 20-Man Memorial Invisible Man Marching Drill Team, Uncle Fester, Count Smokula, The Radioactive Chicken Heads and the Committee for the Right to Bear Arms, a group that marches in precise formations while carrying mannequin arms. Snotty Scotty and the Hankies is still the official band.

At the Doo Dah Parade they throw tortillas back & forth between the crowd & the marchers. Some of the new years eve crowd brought the tortilla thing to the new years cruise. Paint being scratched by frisbee tortillas angered the car guys. The cops wouldn't do anything, even though it was believed by the car guys that it's illegal to throw stuff at cars. They wouldn't stop the tortillas, but they'd step in to keep car guys from beating on the tortilla people. I think the cops hoped the cars would just go away. Which they did. So the cruise died off for years. Recently there has been a resurgence during the afternoon/evening of Dec 30. It's not the grand show it once was, & it ends before the crazies take over, but there are some pretty cool cars that show up.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
El Kabong-I’ve ferried a couple of airplanes over Cali from north to south, and drove the whole length of the state when I moved to Fort Wainwright, AK in the early 2000s. Spent the weekend in San Jose/San Francisco once (more airplane stuff) and a couple days in Sacramento on the AK trip. What a beautiful place Cali is! But honestly, I don’t know how y’all can stay there sometimes. Got new neighbors here in TX who retired and moved next door-that’s the MO for a lot of Cali retirees. Sell out in Cali and relocate to Texas! We’re too busy eating the tortillas to throw ‘em at the cars.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
"Making the drag" sounds like "cruising the boulevard" around here. Colorado blvd for those of us near Pasadena. Whittier blvd for the LA area guys.

Colorado blvd was a Thursday night thing. I think Whittier was Friday & Saturday nights.

Then there was the big cruise on new years eve. Colorado blvd down the path of the Rose Parade. Guys would work for months to get their cars ready. Lots of great cars on the street & a ton of people camped out over night. It was a blast for car guys, until the Doo Dah Parade came to be.

The Doo Dah Parade sort of a parody parade that runs at a different time of year with all sorts of crazy marchers. I don't seen the synchronized brief case drill team on the list anymore, but here are some of the "entries":

At the Doo Dah Parade they throw tortillas back & forth between the crowd & the marchers. Some of the new years eve crowd brought the tortilla thing to the new years cruise. Paint being scratched by frisbee tortillas angered the car guys. The cops wouldn't do anything, even though it was believed by the car guys that it's illegal to throw stuff at cars. They wouldn't stop the tortillas, but they'd step in to keep car guys from beating on the tortilla people. I think the cops hoped the cars would just go away. Which they did. So the cruise died off for years. Recently there has been a resurgence during the afternoon/evening of Dec 30. It's not the grand show it once was, & it ends before the crazies take over, but there are some pretty cool cars that show up.
All fun and games until you get a tortilla full of whip cream in your lap. Our 4x4 club use to tow the parade floats up to the starting line on new years eve.

El Kabong

Contributor
All fun and games until you get a tortilla full of whip cream in your lap. Our 4x4 club use to tow the parade floats up to the starting line on new years eve.

Many years we go & watch the floats on their way over. It was fun with the kids & now we're taking the grandkids. It's the parade before the parade.

Are any of these from your club? Taken 12/31/06. I always enjoyed seeing the 4xs pulling the floats. You'll notice the pics are focused on the tow vehicles & not the floats. In recent years it looks like they use company trucks instead. I miss the cool tow vehicles from years past.

100_9129.jpg

100_9130.jpg

100_9145.jpg

100_9148.jpg

100_9138.jpg

100_9152.jpg

100_9108.jpg

100_9080.jpg

El Kabong

Contributor
El Kabong-I’ve ferried a couple of airplanes over Cali from north to south, and drove the whole length of the state when I moved to Fort Wainwright, AK in the early 2000s. Spent the weekend in San Jose/San Francisco once (more airplane stuff) and a couple days in Sacramento on the AK trip. What a beautiful place Cali is! But honestly, I don’t know how y’all can stay there sometimes. Got new neighbors here in TX who retired and moved next door-that’s the MO for a lot of Cali retirees. Sell out in Cali and relocate to Texas! We’re too busy eating the tortillas to throw ‘em at the cars.

Yeah, there's lots gone wrong here. But family ties are here. I've known many folk who have called quits & headed for better environments. The thing I never understand is how many of them move out to get away from this, but try to influence the new place to be more like this. No wonder people hate seeing us show up.

We've found a place a few hours away to retire to. Close enough to still get together with family a few times a year, but a world apart. We've met many of the neighbors & like them & the place as is. But it's still in this crazy state.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Yeah, there's lots gone wrong here. But family ties are here. I've known many folk who have called quits & headed for better environments. The thing I never understand is how many of them move out to get away from this, but try to influence the new place to be more like this. No wonder people hate seeing us show up.

We've found a place a few hours away to retire to. Close enough to still get together with family a few times a year, but a world apart. We've met many of the neighbors & like them & the place as is. But it's still in this crazy state.

Yeah, when you go to Austin you get a big dose of that. Seems like it’s the younger crowd coming here to work rather than the retirees that want to bring Cali with them. You’d think they would put 2 and 2 together and figure out the reasons why we have good jobs and low cost of living, but maybe not. Glad you got your retirement place! I’m looking forward to that day.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
"Making the drag". We did kind of the same thing. Called it "dragging main". Didn't take long to get from one end of Main Street to the other end...street was only 3 miles long. Nobody much bothered us as absolutely NOTHING was open in town after 7 PM. LOL. We burned a lot of gas, fortunately it was only 38 cents a gallon. Good times.
Randy

El Kabong

Contributor
Yeah, when you go to Austin you get a big dose of that. Seems like it’s the younger crowd coming here to work rather than the retirees that want to bring Cali with them. You’d think they would put 2 and 2 together and figure out the reasons why we have good jobs and low cost of living, but maybe not. Glad you got your retirement place! I’m looking forward to that day.

Me too. We just bought the place & have a few years left before we head up there. Lots of work to do beteeen now & then.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Many years we go & watch the floats on their way over. It was fun with the kids & now we're taking the grandkids. It's the parade before the parade.

Are any of these from your club? Taken 12/31/06. I always enjoyed seeing the 4xs pulling the floats. You'll notice the pics are focused on the tow vehicles & not the floats. In recent years it looks like they use company trucks instead. I miss the cool tow vehicles from years past.

100_9129.jpg

100_9130.jpg

100_9145.jpg

100_9148.jpg

100_9138.jpg

100_9152.jpg

100_9108.jpg

100_9080.jpg

All but the hummer. Last time i towed it was the edision float built by caltec all run on batteries had a big fountain and huge humming birds weighed 33,000 lbs was a bit much for my Bronco. But we got her there.

El Kabong

Contributor
All but the hummer. Last time i towed it was the edision float built by caltec all run on batteries had a big fountain and huge humming birds weighed 33,000 lbs was a bit much for my Bronco. But we got her there.

That is truly cool! We've enjoyed watching your club's part many times. Your edison float rings a bell.

I shot those pics after getting my 1st Bronco & realizing that they were probably using them for the low range towing capabilities. That camera was not good in low light, so we kept moving down to well lit intrersections to try to get some shots. My wife thought I was kinda nuts.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
yep low range, hubs unlocked. More of a tractor. they ran the engine for power steering and brakes in the floats while under tow. they just couldn't drive them much except the hill on orange grove. the floats were filled with fuel once and not allowed to refill once they left the barn. there was a $3000 fine if the float had to be towed during the actual parade. fuel was always an issue on the floats. Fire marshal rules made things very difficult. lost of things happen that now-one knows about.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WELL this has taken a while . But i GOT MY FUEL TANK back from the radiator shop & Young man got it back in last night & added fuel & he ran it for a good while in his shop & said it ran great.
... SO I ask him how much & He only charged me $200.00. I paid him fast.
He change oil & filters & checked all the other fluids levels . REMOVED & REPLACED THE FUEL TANK . he had to remove the rear bumper also .
He blew out lines & did some trouble shooting on some wiring .
... SO I paid him the 200 & told him he could spend $250.00. More looking it over & CLEANING UP MY WIRING .He's supposed to really be good on wiring .
SO I told him to make sure it could pass inspection ... I'M SO STOKED can't wait to get TACO'S FAVORITE RIDE. Back .

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
That is TRULY good news that 1) it's getting closer to being 'home' and 2) it's not costing a 2nd mortgage to get it home. Congrats.
Randy