• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

super duty hydro boost questions

papy

Contributor
hi all!

i am planning on doing the SD hydro boost set up on my 67 build. i also plan on following what "70_Steve" and "emotoman" have done (see link) and just wondering if any members here know what the differences are between the different year model SD hydro boost units if any?

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203610
i know this is and old thread however i see some members are still active on CB

its kind of misleading in a way when i research i cant get the info i am looking for so i thought id post in hopes that someone already had the same questions and got the right answers.

it seems like the 2000SD, 2006SD is often mentioned for our broncos however when i go to rockauto.com the range is from 1999-2004 then it goes to 2005-2010. not sure if FORD changed the HB units in some of the year ranges?

i was on the phone with Cardone tech today and they are telling me that the only difference between the two is the mounting plate which is not a big deal as i will be fabbing up a new one like "emotoman"did and the brake pedal push rod length. One of the part numbers is 8" and the other is 4 1/2" long. that doesn't matter to me as it will have to be lengthened/shortened to work on my bronco.

rockauto.com
FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 1999-2004 CARDONE 527374
FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 2005-2010 CARDONE 527373

as we all know
SD 7.3 ranges from 1999-03
and the 6.0 from 2003-07
and the 6.4 from 2008-10

the question i have is will any of the SD hydro units from 1999-2010 weather it be from a 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 diesel work for this application? trying to harvest one from my local pick n pull before it gets too cold and i am looking for one that has hit the yard within a reasonable time so i can avoid any potential water/contaminants from sitting outside in the elements without any fluid in the units and what not.

any and all info is appreciated

thanks

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't have conclusive answers to all of your questions but I'll do the best I can. I was the first guy years ago to use a Super Duty booster so I'm pretty familiar with the units with a caveat - I've never used a booster newer than the 7.3 boosters. Are you going to use one of the Chrysler masters like Motoman did? If not, I'd recommend it.

The reason you see the year split between '04 and '05 is because that's when Ford switched from leaf springs to coil springs on the front end (the 6.0 intro earlier). When they switched to coil springs, they also changed/upsized the front brakes which apparently necessitated a change in the brake system. The biggest change was a master cylinder with a larger bore.

Although I'm not familiar with the newer units, I think you can safely use one through 2010. I see 4 items of interest that you may need to consider, and you've already addressed two of them. Mounting plate - you've already addressed. Pedal pushrod - you've already addressed. Hydroboost pushrod-to-master-cylinder clearance - something you'll need to address, but you need to do that with most of the conversions. The only real unknown for me is the size of the power piston in the newer boosters. I'd be willing to bet it's a non-issue for our swaps.

All the fittings in the unit across all years.

Todd Z.

Hazegray

I picked a 1999 out of the u pick yard and just made a mounting plate. Cut the lines and kept the metal line/fitting and had a local hydraulic shop make new lines up utilizing the parts I provided. The length of the pushrod to brake pedal did not require any re-work on my end...

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
I don't have conclusive answers to all of your questions but I'll do the best I can. I was the first guy years ago to use a Super Duty booster so I'm pretty familiar with the units with a caveat - I've never used a booster newer than the 7.3 boosters. Are you going to use one of the Chrysler masters like Motoman did? If not, I'd recommend it.

The reason you see the year split between '04 and '05 is because that's when Ford switched from leaf springs to coil springs on the front end (the 6.0 intro earlier). When they switched to coil springs, they also changed/upsized the front brakes which apparently necessitated a change in the brake system. The biggest change was a master cylinder with a larger bore.

Although I'm not familiar with the newer units, I think you can safely use one through 2010. I see 4 items of interest that you may need to consider, and you've already addressed two of them. Mounting plate - you've already addressed. Pedal pushrod - you've already addressed. Hydroboost pushrod-to-master-cylinder clearance - something you'll need to address, but you need to do that with most of the conversions. The only real unknown for me is the size of the power piston in the newer boosters. I'd be willing to bet it's a non-issue for our swaps.

All the fittings in the unit across all years.

Todd Z.

Todd,

thank you for replying. This is great! I did see your posts on the link i provided that dates back to 2012

as for the master cylinder i did order and have in hand the exact one you mention in your 2012 post.

good to know about the leaf/coil crossover. that explains and answers my questions. thank you

1. mounting plate - good
2. pedal pushrod - good
3. HB pushrod to MC - i plan to use the same 1/2 spacer as 70_steve did on his 2000 SD HB. i am hoping to a HB from a 2000 SD just so i don't have to keep fishing for answers. It seems like the later SD are plentiful in the yards and the earlier ones and harder to find at least in my neck of the woods they are.
4. power piston - are you talking about the piston from the HB to the MC? Can i look up the specs on that Diplomat MC and compare it to the SD HB? this being my first time with this swap i am not sure what to look for in the specs?

also you saying the fittings are/should be the same for all the years?

i am also thinking of using the OE SD lines and making them work like hazegray did.

JP