• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New chromoly axle issue

junebug

Installing my new chromoly axles from Wild horses. For some reason my warn premium hubs will not slide down far enough to install the inner snap ring in the groove. Are they designed for a different hub or has anyone had any an issue with the stub shaft not having the splines cut deep enough? Even tried sliding it on the bare shaft not installed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
When installed I stick a big screwdriver in at the u-joint and make sure the axle is all the way out in the knuckle. That usually does it to get the snap ring on. Are u using snap rig pliers to install it? If the shaft slides thru the hub the snap ring should fit.

OP
OP
J

junebug

I tried the old screwdriver behind the axle trick. Still wouldn’t give me enough room. I tried sliding the hub internals over the uninstalled stub shaft and it still won’t go deep enough to seat the snap ring. Hubs fit fine over the factory axle. Looks like the splines aren’t cut far enough down the shaft to let the Hub seat properly

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did that once. The thrust washer (old brass/new nylon) behind the spindle bearing got installed backwards

OP
OP
J

junebug

I finally found another thread with this topic. Apparently a lot of guys are running the chromoly axles without the outer snap ring?

Last edited:

Mark1911

Installed mine without the snap rings. Mine had instructions that states “no snap rings”. Even though there is a groove for a snap ring.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not necessarily the axle shafts, as it sounds like they're made to factory Ford specs. However I did think we specified ring grooves further out, or dual groves to combat this issue. But in the end it's the Warn lockouts themselves (and most other aftermarket versions) that causes the problem. Same issue with stock lockouts, when using the GM based disc brake kits. With both the brakes and the Warn products, it's a double-whammy against us.

So in either of those latter cases, even with the stock axles you rarely have room for the small snap ring on the axle. As in almost never. I think I've only heard of one or two that were able to install the ring once things were changed.
Sounds like our axles are specified to be just like stock then. Too bad, as a groove a little further out would have been nice.

As mentioned, at one point I'm pretty sure we even had a manufacturer that gave us two grooves. One inner for the stock Ford brakes and stock Spicer lockouts, and one outer for aftermarket brakes and lockouts.
As far as I know the issue with Warn hubs has been with us for as long as there have been Warn hubs. Or at least since the late '70's when I first ran across the problem.
My guess has always been that they were designed on the GM version of the Dana axles, presuming that they must all the same, and Ford spindles and axles were just a bit different.

Sounds like a good time to bring it back up and ask for grooves further out on the custom axles. If it's something the manufacturer is willing to do without charging too much.
That's the big issue as I see it really. If all of your products can be made in one-size-fits-all, the cost is one level. If you have to make one single change just to fit Fords, the cost on that version is at another level.

But that's just conjecture. I'll ask around and see what, if anything, can be done.
For now though, as the others have said, just leave the small snap-ring off of the axle shaft. Now, if we're talking about the big one on the bearing hub, that's a whole different story!

Paul

OP
OP
J

junebug

Thanks for the responses! I feel better about it now... I’ll just run the outer ring. I honestly thought it was that the splines weren’t cut deep enough down on the axle to allow the Hub assembly to slide down on. BTW Wild Horses has always been very good to me and I appreciate the feedback DD

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I finally found another thread with this topic. Apparently a lot of guys are running the chromoly axles without the outer snap ring?

It can be done for sure.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for the responses! I feel better about it now... I’ll just run the outer ring. I honestly thought it was that the splines weren’t cut deep enough down on the axle to allow the Hub assembly to slide down on. BTW Wild Horses has always been very good to me and I appreciate the feedback DD

We have the best vendors i feel like.

pbwcr

I asked who made the axles because Ford has many variations according the the letter I read from Spicer where they complained about all the detailed differences. It is really a bummer to have to modify a part that the vendor says is correct but obviously does not fit a stock product.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I asked the same thing several years ago when I installed mine. They've been running flawlessly for a few thousand miles since with no snap ring.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember when I got my WH front disc brake conversion they supplied shortened fine thread bolts and fender washers that screwed into the
end of the factory outer axles to take the place of the snap ring. The ChroMo axles didn't have threaded holes, so no bolt, no snap ring. Been fine
since 2010, no issues. You'll love the Warn Premiums. I can turn mine no matter what state the front axle is in.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
on the Ford stubs and chevy spindles with the stock ford hubs I machined the end of the inner axle drive clutch till the snap ring went on. it was around .100 or so off the rough forging. that worked well for me. the red knob goes in a little but it all stays sealed up and worked well. for a while dana made a stub with 2 groves in it and the larger u-joint but haven't see it in real life just pictures. I don't know who carried it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
on the Ford stubs and chevy spindles with the stock ford hubs I machined the end of the inner axle drive clutch till the snap ring went on. it was around .100 or so off the rough forging. that worked well for me. the red knob goes in a little but it all stays sealed up and worked well. for a while dana made a stub with 2 groves in it and the larger u-joint but haven't see it in real life just pictures. I don't know who carried it.

Lookie what I found.... https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/4340ChroMo_Dana44_outer_axle_GM/bronco_Dana44

;D

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I noticed that they were in the "Front End Parts - Dana 44" but not the "Axle Shafts" page.
That should be changing soon.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
seem to remember this same issue 10 years ago using yukon axles, same answer, don't use snap ring.