• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 & Vintage Air/BCB AC install

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I will post up once it's charged and running. I started the engine today for the first time, mostly for amusement since it's a ways from being a driver again. I was surprised it started at all, considering the current tune is for my nearly stock previous Explorer 5.0, but it caught instantly. Barely heard the starter. Open headers so I didn't exactly hear anything else, either. Surprise. Coolant leaks in several locations. My nemesis. Will fix those, then fab an exhaust.

In case anyone is interested, this is what a Blueprint 408 running Ford EDIS on the wrong tune sounds like. Garry the EFI Guy will make things right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11DiqLSKX7xi7JNzG_oq8Glp3ENz7bxLl/view?usp=sharing

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Garry WILL make it right!!

Sounds awesome.... dang, bet you couldn't even talk you were so giddy. lol

Nothing, absolutely nothing sounds better than a new, long awaited build with open headers... :)

Congrats buddy! :)

71 CA Bronco

Nice. That's your motivator buddy. Once you hear that sound you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It won't be long now.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Very cool, totally jealous...
nice looking truck, really like that shade of blue.

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Nice. That's your motivator buddy. Once you hear that sound you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It won't be long now.

Thanks, Rob. You know how much fun a VA AC install can be, even with a raised cowl. I must've had the evaporator in and out a hundred times trying to make things fit. And apparently I was tired when I installed it the last time, for what I thought was the last time. Not. Big coolant leak down onto the passenger floor. Reached up and felt for it, really can't see back there. Hose clamps are loose, apparently forgot to tighten them :mad:

Am currently wishing for your raised cowl with an inspection cover on top.

71 CA Bronco

Yes, why some have said they will never install an AC in a Bronco again. Let me know if you want to raise the cowl. Thom and I can swing back up there and help get it done. ;D

nvrstuk

Contributor
71 CA Bronco... raising that cowl would sure help... that and extend the dash out about 2".

If you, TS and Lars get that done... could you make two of 'em? :)

Last edited:

71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco... raising that cowl would sure help... that and extend the dash out about 2".

If you, TS and Lars get that done... could you make two of 'em?

I was messing with Lars a bit. I really don't think he wants to raise the cowl. If he does take us up on that I'm sure we can make a few extra. :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
11 days...

We're waiting... lol

More pics!!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
He is dealing with Temps over 100*, like we are as well, and well those temps are not the best to accomplish any Bronco work.

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
He is dealing with Temps over 100*, like we are as well, and well those temps are not the best to accomplish any Bronco work.

Indeed. And I had to (gasp) work a bit this week. Up at 4:30, fly to work, get stuff done until it hit 90° in my friend's/business partner's hangar, then fly home. Shove airplane back in hangar. Look wistfully at Bronco in the corner. Choose to ignore it because at that point inside temp was about 115°. Get up next day, repeat.

But maybe some news today...

71 CA Bronco

Just have Thom turn the AC up in the hanger. I still get a chuckle thinking about the look on his face when we were freezing a bit that morning and I told him to go turn the shop heater on. Wait a minute there is no shop heater. ;D

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
More details later but it started right up, again. Some will disagree with my muffler choice but I sure do like the quiet. Runs really well considering it’s just a base tune from Garry. Better than my 5.0 in fact. Still chasing a couple of minor coolant leaks but the serious ones have been killed off. Got a drip from the oil pressure sender. None of that will get fixed today.

Once I feel the drivetrain is reliable I’ll see about getting the AC charged.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I won’t. I really like how the Walker 17698 sounds on the ‘73. Can’t recall if that is what you have under there or not.

nvrstuk

Contributor
A 4' long Walker on there? lol You know with all your aviation experience I would think some nice noise cancelling headphones and some Purple Hornies would be a great combo. We could hear ya coming and you wouldn't hear a thing! :)

Great news about you being so close. You do know it's only June and there are 3 more months of 95deg temps before 10am right? That sucks.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Maybe I have the wrong p/n because the one under the '73 is only 18" long. Nope, just checked, I have it correct. :)

Trail leader that I tail-gunned for at the Big Bear Bronco Bash (first time in 20 years that I drove a Bronco to the Bash!) had an intercom headset set-up. Mic location with those is crucial, apparently. Unless you spend the cubic dollars anyway.

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Fresh air

More bits n pieces.

I wanted the option of outside air and, while I have still not solved the puzzle of how to completely direct it to the VA fan inlet, I did come up with something that will at least marginally deliver outside air on the passenger side.

My OEM plastic right side heater duct was toast. 52 years old, it deserved retirement. Bought a repop replacement from Wild Horses. The high pressure line into the evaporator for the latest gen BCB/VA air conditioning is supposed to pass through a block off plate that replaces the OEM heater fresh air inlet.

I modified that by boring a 2" dia. hole through the plate, welding in a piece of 2" OD exhaust tubing and then clamping a VA butterfly inlet to the inside. A bit of a reach for the passenger to bend forward to open/close said valve, but it in theory will supply fresh air in the general direction of the AC/heater fan inlet. Once I'm actually driving my Bronco more than a few minutes I'll report back on how well that works.