• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 & Vintage Air/BCB AC install

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Did you get the full tilt boogie Copper/Brass Optima Tripleflow w/4 core? That's some $$$.
I see that it maxes out at $982 for the 4 core 'Optima' triple pass.

How much is a cool engine worth on the trail? Not saying that everyone should buy that set of options, but that I see it all too often that guys go cheap and then they and everyone on the trail with them has to deal with the resulting problems. Some trails are enough of a challenge without starting out with a handicap.

Lars, is what you ordered a step up from what you had?

reynard101

Bronco Guru
https://usradiator.com/product/ford-bronco-1969-77-v8-302-radiator

You have to pull down the options to find it. Based on TZ's advice I ordered the high efficiency 3 row in copper/brass. Before it died I managed to drive the new engine fairly hard and saw no evidence of overheating, so fingers crossed that this one will be at least as good.

Hmmm... Still a good chunk of change. Just curious, what did Todd Z say was the reason for the high efficiency 3 row versus the top of the line 4 core w/triple pass?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks, Rob. You know how much fun a VA AC install can be, even with a raised cowl. I must've had the evaporator in and out a hundred times trying to make things fit. And apparently I was tired when I installed it the last time, for what I thought was the last time. Not. Big coolant leak down onto the passenger floor. Reached up and felt for it, really can't see back there. Hose clamps are loose, apparently forgot to tighten them :mad:

Am currently wishing for your raised cowl with an inspection cover on top.

Dang always enjoyed a good fab/mod writeup from Lars!

We recently installed the BC broncos AC system in a buddies bronco with the raised cowl, its still a tight fit but works well. My issue with the install was the glove box as well, later we discovered a new plastic version that has half the depth that would have worked perfectly I believe?

My bronco is getting painted and although I don't have plans for AC, I did have the cowl raised and vent eliminated just in case I change my mind.

Lars it looks and sound great! Makes me hopeful that my new 5.8 install with better heads and intakes will fire off and run at least OK!? (its not a stoker)

Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Resurrecting my old thread. Briefly, because dinner is about to be served and I don't like sleeping in dog houses...

AC is wonderful. Sure did enjoy having it on an outing to Death Valley last April. But, on the way home to the Sacramento Valley, getting close to home, I started hearing a slight knock. I pretended it wasn't there, but eventually I had to admit to myself that it was. First thought was rod knock, but no loss of oil pressure. Got home, parked it in my driveway, feeling deflated.

Next morning, started it up with the intent of driving to my hangar at the local airport, which is where my Bronco lives. No question, knock knock. More cautious types would have had it towed, but I drove it anyway. Quieted down on the way there, but didn't go away.

I called Blueprint Engines warranty department, got someone right away, who started a case and referred me to one of their technicians. He called a bit later, had me cut open the oil filter. Something I do routinely on the aircraft I maintain, so I happened to have a cutter. Hm. Shiny non-ferrous particles.

I sent photos to the tech, who replied quickly that it needed to come back to them. Ugh. But at least I was feeling like I might get help.

I pulled the engine, scrounged a pallet and readied it, then advised Blueprint that it was ready to go. 4 hours later(!) a FedEx truck showed up to haul it off.

I got a call a week or so after they received it that the problem was a scored piston. Not sure how that happened. They advised me that they were going to completely rebuild it and that it would take a couple of months. They are apparently pretty busy.

about 2-1/2 weeks ago I got an email that it was on its way, and a few days later it landed on my (hangar) doorstep. Got it running again last Friday and it purrs. Interestingly it made a little more power and torque on their dyno this time than last time. What ever. I'm posting this because having spent time in the manufacturing world in my career, I know that stuff happens occasionally, despite best efforts. It's how that is handled that sets companies apart. I spent years working for a manufacturer of systems for servicing offshore oil production facilities. Very harsh environment. We set ourselves apart with (warranty) service after the sale, and eventually dominated the industry. Of course our stuff was good, but as a mechanic friend of mine puts it, if it's made by a human it can break.

I'd recommend Blueprint to anyone.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've said it before... GREAT news for you and excellent feedback for all those buying engines! Warranties are only as good as those that back it...

Nothing but good news

nvrstuk

Contributor
bigmuddy- sent you a pm about the smaller ac setup. thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's alright, no hurry. Just really interested in what you found!