• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed floor shifter tunnel cover installation

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Bought a JD 3 speed floor shifter conversion for my '76 and at a stopping point. The fiberglass tunnel cover seems a little oversized. As you can tell by the photo the cover seems to far forward close to the gas pedal and the bottom edge of the cover is not sitting flush. I do have padding and rubber floor mat. I had to cut a slot in it for my twin sticks. Has anyone had to trim the edges of it to make it fit right? I don't want to cut to much and want to get it right before I cut a hole in the top for the shifter. Thanks for any advice and pictures of your install would be great.

51806775415_7c99a9836b_c.jpg

DrDanWWW

I am not sure this helps, but here's my Tom's Bronco/Off Road 3 spd cover on my '66. IMG_6332 interior stick shifts.JPG

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Personally, I would be more likely than not to cut the existing tunnel and mount the shifter. THEN you will know how far back you can move the new tunnel cover. Had the same thing with a previous ‘72 and after modifying the tunnel cover, the front was nowhere near the skinny pedal.

Randy

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Personally, I would be more likely than not to cut the existing tunnel and mount the shifter. THEN you will know how far back you can move the new tunnel cover. Had the same thing with a previous ‘72 and after modifying the tunnel cover, the front was nowhere near the skinny pedal.

Randy
You mean trim the cover before I cut hole for shifter?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
You mean trim the cover before I cut hole for shifter?
No, I cut the shifter hole first and bolted shifter in place (temporarily) and looked at how much cover you needed to get coverage. At that point, you can cut off whatever isn’t needed. You may have to do a bit of f’glass work to seal back end.

Randy

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
The more I look at mine, if I cut the back side that buts under seat in order to get it further back, then it won't follow the lines of the floorboard

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The more I look at mine, if I cut the back side that buts under seat in order to get it further back, then it won't follow the lines of the floorboard
If that’s the case, you may possibly have been sent the wrong cover. Just my thoughts on it.

Randy

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure how you plan to anchor it but when I bought my EB it already had the floor shift installed. It used screws to anchor into the floor boards and they wouldn't pull tight and stay that way. If I were to install fresh, I would get it where it needed to be and install closed end nutserts so I could put a nice threaded fastener in it and draw it down tight. The closed end nutsert would keep water and debris from fouling up the exposed thread ends underneath. A small rim of weatherstripping on the backside of the cover would cut down on any water/dust wanting to find its way into the cab. It was extremely nice to have the ability to remove the cover to access the 3-speed linkage and also the 2-speed linkage.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
If that’s the case, you may possibly have been sent the wrong cover. Just my thoughts on it.

Randy
This is a picture of their website of the cover I ordered but it definitely doesn't look like the one I was sent
51811291728_6a2d8d8ba0_c.jpg

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
So been back and forth with tech from JD (awesome service) and they explained to me that the one I received was a more sturdy version of the one pictured on their website. AND its meant to be mounted under floor mat /Padding. So looks like this weekend is going to be a lot of measure twice cut once.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
You can get away with a smaller hole than you think. Let me get a pic of the old in mine that I'm about to weld shut.

Give me a few

Tim

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Here you go for reference You can see the dirt line and a couple holes where it was mounted. The hole is 4-5 inches smaller than the cover. I really think it could have been even smaller. It was done by the PO so I wasn't consulted LOL

Tim

Attachments

• 20220112_153359.jpg
    20220112_153359.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Here you go for reference You can see the dirt line and a couple holes where it was mounted. The hole is 4-5 inches smaller than the cover. I really think it could have been even smaller. It was done by the PO so I wasn't consulted LOL

Tim
Thats about what the PO did to mine. But I was talking about the hole needed to cut into the plastic 'hump plate' that goes over that hole.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
This help any?

Tim

Attachments

• 20220112_170411.jpg
    20220112_170411.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220112_170441.jpg
    20220112_170441.jpg