• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much should I pay for clutch replacement?

BPerry

I really don't recognize this hobby anymore. It's a way different generation. It's all done with "kits" and even then, with a shop doing the work. If you're really a "trail guy" I'd think you'd want to know how to fix it.
Rest assured, next time my horse breaks down on a trail ride, I'll fix it myself! "That's the hay eating kind and not gasoline"

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My kids loved that place!! That's the one with the dancing rat, video games, and skee ball right!? 😁
No, you are thinking of Showbiz that morphed into Chuckie Cheeze. Rudy's is a chain of Texas style BBQ. Country store style, like the original Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in a still active gas station in Kansas City. I've seen Rudy's locations in Texas (of course), New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. Probably more. The Colorado Springs store does have gas pumps as well. When you by your bottle of soda (or barley pop) you get to open it yourself. If it isn't a twist off, you need to use a bottle opener. But what if you are young and have never grown up using such a thing?

Back to the original Showbiz Pizza places, the creator has moved on to other projects. Some got interesting when dealing with corrosion (every bronco owner knows of this) and hydrogen embrittlement. https://hackaday.com/2016/02/02/experimental-gases-danger-and-the-rock-afire-explosion/

BPerry

No, you are thinking of Showbiz that morphed into Chuckie Cheeze. Rudy's is a chain of Texas style BBQ. Country store style, like the original Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in a still active gas station in Kansas City. I've seen Rudy's locations in Texas (of course), New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. Probably more. The Colorado Springs store does have gas pumps as well. When you by your bottle of soda (or barley pop) you get to open it yourself. If it isn't a twist off, you need to use a bottle opener. But what if you are young and have never grown up using such a thing?

Back to the original Showbiz Pizza places, the creator has moved on to other projects. Some got interesting when dealing with corrosion (every bronco owner knows of this) and hydrogen embrittlement. https://hackaday.com/2016/02/02/experimental-gases-danger-and-the-rock-afire-explosion/
Goodness, perhaps this was the inspiration for that B grade Nicholas Cage pic that my better half forced me to endure... Where the dolls were possessed and tried to kill everyone! Lol

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Maybe the OP was looking not to get ripped off? Possible he got the "I do t want to work on it price" and was looking for some opinions?

I do all my work myself but some can't. I know people that live in communities that do t allow any work on cars or tucks unless it's out of site. In that case you almost have to hire work done.

The younger generation doesn't think twice about hiring work out. It's the way things are now. That said if you can't do it yourself....expect to pay and in some cases through the nose

To the OP, shop the work around and go with yoir guy. Cheap do t mean best and expensive dont mean good

Tim

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I hired the job done because I donot have the equipment and atn70 yrs I cannot crawl around on the floor anymore. Otherwise I do everything else myself. A man has to know his limitations.
Seriously! I'm 68 and just put in a tranny the old way. The trick is to put the tranny on a creeper next to you, roll it on your chest, and push it up. With one hand put in a bolt.
When I can't do this anymore, it goes to one of the boys.

Goboysgo

From what I remember stuffing a NP435 was no walk in the park. But I managed

jhill52

Seriously! I'm 68 and just put in a tranny the old way. The trick is to put the tranny on a creeper next to you, roll it on your chest, and push it up. With one hand put in a bolt.
Seriously. I have health conditions that prevent me from doing that and I don't have any boys. I do .brakd jobs new brake lines and most all other work. I see nothing wrong with that. I am enjoying my Bronco and isnt that what it is all about anyway.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Guys! Please. This is 2022. These are not the old days. Times have changed.

In San Francisco, if you are rolling around with a "tranny" on your chest...that thing in your hand isn't a "bolt..."

tee hee hee...

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Seriously. I have health conditions that prevent me from doing that and I don't have any boys. I do .brakd jobs new brake lines and most all other work. I see nothing wrong with that. I am enjoying my Bronco and isnt that what it is all about anyway.
The older I get the more it "hurts" to be under anything working on it for an extended time. I'm still nursing my back from the M5R2 install. I pulled something while on my back fighting that 150 plus pound trans into place.

As to the clutch install. I've done it both ways (from the rear and from the front) and to me, puling the engine i.e. the front is the easiest way. Path of least resistance.....More parts to remove/drain/whatever but less tools and less effort. I had my W in and out SO many times chasing a "bubbles in my coolant" issue.....I can pull that puppy quick and with little effort....

Tim

1970 Palmer

I have no problem still working on my old creeper, it's the getting up that hurts. I need at least one days rest between "creeper work" days. I sucks getting old. My mind is still 18, but my body says 75.

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Another vote for taking engine out instead of transmission. Not that many more bolts to take loose, just let the hood back and go to town

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
This must have been the old guys post.
Yes AT 72 it takes me about 3 minutes to get off the shop floor.
& It still hurts.
...... But I still do any & every thing I CAN FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET IT ACCOMPLISHED .

BPerry

One thought for a couple on here...
Thanks for the laugh this morning my friend!
And the flashbacks of my younger years being blasted on numerous occasions at tour local bar, singing along with fella picking, and the 60 other blasted rednecks thinking we were Johnny Cash reborn... good times!!