• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me understand the floor shifter. And how to shift.

TheVazha

Hey!

My recently acquired bronco has a Duff floor shifter. The shifts from 1st to second, and 2nd to 3rd are smooth and crisp. My issue is getting it going.

When I shift to first from a stop, I release the clutch and feel the gear engage, and at the same time apply gas. It seems like it’s all working the way it’s supposed to but then it starts to buck and stalls. Sometimes it shifts fine, sometimes it bucks and stalls. I’d say 50/50.

I have a feeling the issue is my technique. I’ve never driven manual and in fact I learned basically on this car. I can get it shifting perfect when moving, but getting going is rough.

Do you guys have any pro tips on how to feather the shift from N to 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Shouldn't need to feather it. Put the clutch on the floor, put the transmission into 1st gear.

But saying that there are times it doesn't go in that last click when sitting at a dead stop. The gears are just not lined up perfect, no motion to line them up. Easy, just put in a different gear. Reverse or 2nd gear. It is just enough to nudge the gears inside the transmission into a slightly different alignment. Go back into 1st gear and it does the 2 or 3 clicks as it falls completely into gear.

OK, read the post again. Sounds like you are not having issues getting it into gear. You are trying to get going from a stop and the clutch engagment is not smooth, sometime. Clutch chatter. Unfortunately it is common in Broncos. There is no single fix, all the parts have to be right. Technique can help, quicker engagment gets you through the slip zone where the issue is at. Poor combination of tire size and gearing can agrivate this. 3.50 gears and 33s (or more) require a lot of slip to get moving.

But that isn't the only thing. Motor mounts, clutch linkage bushings, and body mounts being worn are common causes as well. Axle perches for the leaf springs can get rounded over. And there is the clutch itself, heat spots, warped disk, can cause it to not engage smoothly (think of warped brake rotors on hard braking).

So hard to say how to fix it quick and easy, because there is so much it could be.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check all your engin and transmission/transfer case mounts and then check your rear drive shaft and its u-joints. check your spring bushings and check the trrque if the axle u bolts. anything in the driveline that moves before the tires turn can cause difficulties with a manual transmission.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Clutch chatter....Check the bushings on the Z bar linkage. New bushings fixed my chatter issue. Bushings were toast. Couldn't tell till I removed the Z bar. Metal on metal. I had to buy a new Z bar as well as bushings.

Tim

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

So I figured something out:

When in N, shift to 1st, and then once I get to within 1/8th of an inch of engagement, I very very very slowly release the clutch, and very very slowly push the throttle, and voila, shifts and goes as smooth as an auto!!!!

I think I’ve figured out “my” rig. I wish I can release that clutch a bit faster, I guess I just have to time it with the signals. Lol, I have to start the shift when the opposing light is turning yellow.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s great to figure out. Very rewarding probably.
But you might still be dealing with an out of adjustment linkage, or other issues.

trekgurl

what they all said above,, everything mechanically needs to be adjusted correctly. As far a driving manual,, drive it and become one with the machine. hahaha...seriously don't "think" about it so hard it becomes awkward. "feel" for the sweet spot" in your foot and hand, and "listen" to the engine rev up and down. Try to imagine your carrying a load of eggs in the back. I "burnt" up several clutches on my first EB in 1975 and lot was due to learning, wheeling and doggin it. Practice makes perfect and you drive it enough it you will not "think" about it. I've always drove stick, as I learn to drive on a 57 panel chevrolet when I was 14. I loved driving that ole truck and making it go. Best stick I ever had was a 47 Indian chief. 3spd stick, foot clutch and brake, with spark advance on the left and throttle on the right. Now you talking about fun to drive,, every hand and foot was working something different to make the Indian go and that big hunk of iron would go. People always talk about latest gimmick, its so "interactive". and I'm like I don't get it???? Everything is "done" for you and you might as well stay home and sit on the couch. You get on a old farm tractor, truck, motorcycle, car, airplane, sawmill, any old chinery and put that sucker in gear and you'll see interactive. Can't find'em, grind'em :) :)

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

what they all said above,, everything mechanically needs to be adjusted correctly. As far a driving manual,, drive it and become one with the machine. hahaha...seriously don't "think" about it so hard it becomes awkward. "feel" for the sweet spot" in your foot and hand, and "listen" to the engine rev up and down. Try to imagine your carrying a load of eggs in the back. I "burnt" up several clutches on my first EB in 1975 and lot was due to learning, wheeling and doggin it. Practice makes perfect and you drive it enough it you will not "think" about it. I've always drove stick, as I learn to drive on a 57 panel chevrolet when I was 14. I loved driving that ole truck and making it go. Best stick I ever had was a 47 Indian chief. 3spd stick, foot clutch and brake, with spark advance on the left and throttle on the right. Now you talking about fun to drive,, every hand and foot was working something different to make the Indian go and that big hunk of iron would go. People always talk about latest gimmick, its so "interactive". and I'm like I don't get it???? Everything is "done" for you and you might as well stay home and sit on the couch. You get on a old farm tractor, truck, motorcycle, car, airplane, sawmill, any old chinery and put that sucker in gear and you'll see interactive. Can't find'em, grind'em :) :)

Haha totally agree. I bet every bronco is different even though the mechanics are the same. I just have to get to the point where it’s muscle memory and my shifts are flawless!